Laptop Ethernet port

Closed
VeasnaYim Posts 180 Registration date Tuesday June 18, 2013 Status Member Last seen October 2, 2015 - May 29, 2014 at 05:12 PM
 Blocked Profile - Jun 2, 2014 at 11:45 AM
Hello Everybody,
Can you explain me why When i plug network cable from Modem to Ethernet port of my laptop, I never got internet working.

After that, I tried to connect internet to My desktop PC with the same Network cable from Modem to Ethernet port of that PC, The internet is working fine.

It make me very wonder because my laptop is new should not crush ethernet port So I tried to take two more laptops and plug network cable from that Modem to those two laptop ethernet ports, Internet is not working..

What is the problem with this? I don't think my 3 laptops ethernet port is crush..
Related:

5 responses

Blocked Profile
May 30, 2014 at 05:34 PM
Do you get a link light?
VeasnaYim Posts 180 Registration date Tuesday June 18, 2013 Status Member Last seen October 2, 2015 8
May 30, 2014 at 05:37 PM
Yes, I got all light with my ethernet port..
I don't know what is the problem????
My two laptop amost new... and one is old..
I don't think all 3 laptops ethernet port are problem.
Thanks
Blocked Profile
May 30, 2014 at 06:47 PM
Ok, hang in there.

You really do not state how you realize that your port is not working. What service are you utilizing, and how do you know it is failing? If you are attempting to use your favorite browser and that is what is failing, then please state what error you are receiving.

You must figure out what is in common with all three. You have given limited information about the make, model, o/s. Does the Modem work with any other laptop? I understand your desktop works. Have you tried to reverse engineer all of the desktops networking components? Do you pull an ip address?

How did you obtain the laptops, and why are you working on them? Is there a reason why you are working on them?

Sometimes lightning does crazy things!
VeasnaYim Posts 180 Registration date Tuesday June 18, 2013 Status Member Last seen October 2, 2015 8
Jun 2, 2014 at 09:45 AM
Dear ac3mark,
Thanks for your responding with great explaining.
I am using ISP, TimeWarner. All my laptops and even my desktop are Windows 7.
The make of Modem is Motorola.

Anyways, I didn't understand much of your sentence " Have you tried to reverse engineer all of the desktops networking components? Do you pull an ip address?
"
But i didn't configure or get into IP Address and i just plug RJ45 to my laptop and i didn't work.

The purpose to use that laptop with ethernet port from Modem to laptop because i want to configured my router so i need laptop and i didn't have desktop so that i tried the three laptops but not help and i decide to fix my broken desktop and configure my router.

Please share me with your best experience about this.
With my best regards,

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Blocked Profile
Jun 2, 2014 at 11:45 AM
Make certain the ethernet controller is enabled.

By reverse engineering, I mean, did you look and copy the working desktops config?

One thing you must remember is, when you plug into a router, you need to be on the same subnet as the router, or you will never gain access.