Computer Will Not Respond / HELP!

Closed
fender967 - Mar 10, 2009 at 04:25 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Mar 11, 2009 at 05:07 PM
Hello,

Here's what happened:

My anti-virus detected a virus, I scanned with Malwarebytes and found several infected files including the virus "Vundo" and another with "backdoor" in the name.

Malwarebytes removed the infected files and then needed to restart in order to remove any it could not.

On restart, the desktop did not load, only my wallpaper. I restarted again, and now the monitor light stays orange, none of the keyboard lights go on, nothing loads and nothing responds.

I cannot get into safemode or bios as the keyboard doesn't even act like the computer is on. What at all can I do to fix this? What would a computer repair shop do in a situation like this?

I have many many files I can't lose on this computer, please help..

(posting from someone else's computer)

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Mar 11, 2009 at 05:07 PM
If you have data files you need to recover. You have two options:
1. remove the hard disk and attach it to another computer and copy the files to a CD. You could buy a USB hard drive adapter to make this transfer easy.
2. Download Ubuntu Linux, burn the image to a CD, put the CD in the damaged computer and boot from the Linux CD ( DO NOT install Linux). use Linux to copy the files to a CD. This only works if you can change the boot order in the BIOS.

Good Luck