When I try to shut down my notebook it restar

Closed
Raúl - Mar 10, 2009 at 04:55 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Mar 11, 2009 at 04:45 PM
Hello,

My laptop is an Hp Pavilion dv 2830 Es with Windows Vista (Home Premium).

When I try to shut it down it doesn't work sometimes..instead it restarts and I have to shut down pushing the switching on/off button.

Could anybody help me please?? I have asked HP technical service and the only solution they gave me was to use the recovery CDrom... I have done it but after 2 or 3 weeks it starts doing the same thing and I again cannot shut it down.

Anyone HELP me PLEASE!

Thanks a lot!!
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Mar 11, 2009 at 04:45 PM
In Windows XP, the default setting is for the computer to reboot automatically when a fatal error occurs. If that fatal error only occurs when you're shutting down, the system reboots automatically.

If you haven't changed any of the system failure settings, you should be able to see the error by looking in the Event Log. But a better long-term solution is to turn off the automatic reboot so you can actually see the error when it happens—chances are it will tell you enough about itself to let you troubleshoot further. To change the recovery settings to disable automatic rebooting:

1.Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2.Click the Advanced tab.

3.Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

4.Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

5.Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

Now when you go to shut down and a fatal error occurs, you'll at least see it and it won't cause an automatic reboot. You still have to sort out what's causing the problem, but that gets us to the next section quite nicely.

Software Incompatibility

The most common cause of a fatal error or BSOD is a software or driver problem, and troubleshooting these can be tricky. The mechanism for troubleshooting, however, is pretty much the same for any problem on a PC. The first thing to look at is what's changed—what new software program or driver have you added, usually just before the problem started. This sounds easy and it often is, but if it's something you've lived with for a while, you'll often have no idea what the proximate cause is. When you do, it's a lot easier. When you don't, you need to do a bit of research to find out if there is a specific cause for the particular error message you're getting (when you have one) or a known issue with certain programs or drivers that causes the behavior you're seeing.

Download a program called CCleaner and clean the registry - that often fixes the problem(s).