Laptop shut off, will not turn back on [Solved/Closed]

- - Latest reply:  Nana - Feb 11, 2018 at 10:23 PM
Hello,
I have a gateway laptop,it was plugged in and charging and on, and it sudddenly just shut off and now will not turn back on. I dont know if this has anything to do with it, but I will mention that I mistakenly tried to put my cellphone charger in the USB port (haha it was dark) right around the time it shut off. Can someone please tell me what is wrong and how to fix it?
See more 

5 replies

Best answer
Thank you
  • Take out the battery,
  • Remove main supply,
  • Hold power button down for 30 secs,
  • Put only power supply in, do not put battery in
  • Turn laptop on
  • Put the battery in.

Thank you, tictactoe 2782

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM has helped 2617 users this month

Ty, it worked
My laptop is a gateway, it worked,,,i need a new battery, but it did work
Thank you! Worked instantly.
Thank you so much! I was working on a school project and it shut off and I started to panic. your advice saved me and my grade!
Thank you
My HP desktop has the similar problem as the laptops. I left the computer on for a few hours, it was working fine, when I returned it had powered down and would not power on at all. Power source is good to the computer, it acts as though it has no power at all.
Any help is most appreciated.
Thank you.
Thank you
Same thing happened to me and this is how I fixed it... take out the battery and unplug the charger... next hold down the power button for 30-40seconds and then release it and quickly put the battery back in and plug the charger in... it should then power on when you press the power button... this is because static builds up into the laptop and that is how you release it.
thanks dudehelper :) u really helped..
Thank you
Hey Bob! I have a gateway MT-6821 with the EXACT same problem you described. I took your advice specifically as stated, and it worked. For those of you are still having trouble, with tictactoe's advice, here is what I did after multiple failed attempts until I found Bob's advice.

1. Remove power supply and battery.
2. Hold power button down for 30 seconds.
3. WHILE STILL HOLDING DOWN POWER BUTTON, INSERT POWER SUPPLY (that's what she said), THEN INSERT BATTERY. *THE POWER BUTTON SHOULD BE HELD, THROUGHOUT THIS ENTIRE STEP.
4. At this point, the blue light and the charging light both came on, and the computer started properly.
Everything Ran normally after that!

Thank you to everyone who posted on this blog. It seems that Gateways have trouble following tictactoes's original advice but this, slightly modified technique, worked perfectly for me!

Sincerely,
MD
Wow the doctahs advise worked for me! Thank u!
Thank you
Wow, removing the power & battery, holding the power button down for 30 secs then rebooting with just power adaptor really WORKS. Thanks for the advise everyone..........

Mark R