PC tries to load

Solved/Closed
Julieneversleeps Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday August 26, 2014 Status Member Last seen August 27, 2014 - Aug 26, 2014 at 03:18 PM
Julieneversleeps Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday August 26, 2014 Status Member Last seen August 27, 2014 - Aug 27, 2014 at 01:40 PM
I have an e machine computer that runs a windows 98. 1st problem: Upon start up it asked me to log onto user (which it never did before, it would automatically log on), but when I did choose the user, it said "unable to log on". 2nd problem: tried to reboot normal way, same problem-hard boot same problem. 3rd problem: Inserted windows 98 disk to go back to factory default, screen goes blank, and now forced to turn off manually and hard boot, still no screen...put in e machine disk for tower, and now computer hums loud as if trying to load and blank screen. Tried the cord removal and hold on button solution, but nothing. Can anyone help me without my having to take my computer to a repair shop?
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Aug 26, 2014 at 06:00 PM
I suggest you forget the repair and buy a modern computer or tablet. It's a waste of money to try to repair such an old computer. It's going to cost you $100 just to look at it.

Good luck
Julieneversleeps Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday August 26, 2014 Status Member Last seen August 27, 2014
Aug 27, 2014 at 01:40 PM
I typed in my problem to google and it led to a different forum. I typed in "humming tower won't load screen stays blank". I found that I should use the F11 key. So I shut off computer, turned it back on, held the F11 key down while computer started loading to original page that said click on user, but wouldn't except user. I turned computer off the correct way, then this time turning it on while holding down F8 key to start in safe mode and then from there I chose a restore point...and it's working at 100% now. I tried it on an older model with same issue unfortunately it didn't work on that one. I also should add that they didn't run using Windows 98, they were Windows XP.