Connecting a mobile broadband 3G router (cellphon for internet)

Closed
MrRooster Posts 1 Registration date Saturday September 20, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 20, 2014 - Sep 20, 2014 at 08:15 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Sep 22, 2014 at 12:53 PM
Have a Franklin 3G Hotspot R526 mobile unit that is ethernet cabled to my desktop (bought it so can move between desktop and laptop). It came up and has been working fine for the NET and email. Wanted to install another router (purchased a D-Link) betwwen the two to add on WIFI for my other laptop, wireless printers, and wired desktops. Have not been able to get it to communicate through the D-Link (can't return as bought sometiome ago) even when I have the original computer that the Franklin was connected to. D-Link is of no help as they don't know the Franklin and stated I should contact Franklin - which they have no responded either. So I am lost. The manuals don't talk about what the reset does on each unit. I do not want to jeapordize by resetting and not getting back the NET when I pull the D-Link out and trash it. Is there known issues of D-Link routers not working with certain broadband mobile routers like the Franklin. Any help is appreciated.
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Sep 21, 2014 at 08:24 PM
The Franklin 3G Hotspot R526 is a WiFi router itself. If you want to connect another router you should not use the WAN input port on the D-Link (use one of the other LAN ports). You should also disable DHCP on the D-Link router. Since you can only have one router doing the DHCP work. You should also use different WiFi channels on the two devices.

Good Luck
Yes I understand the Franklin R526 is a WIFI router (actually 2 radios in one), howver, you lost me on how to physically connect the two (R526 and the D-Link).
The D-Link has 1 Internet Input (WAN) RJ45 port and 4 LAN (RJ45) outputs. Typically the mobile device would be hard-wired via ethernet cable to my non-wireless desktop. So if I understand you I would not use the ethernet cable at all from the Franklin but let the WIFI "talk" via the air transmission of which the D-Link antena would pickup? Or do you mean running an ethernet cable from the Franklin to one of the LAN "output" jacks on the D-Link. (please excuse me as I am totally green in setting up networks here or WIFI. I know when I turn on my laptop or TV that has wireless capabilities it recognizes the Franklin as it displays the IP address name. But I have no clue how to setup to recive the signal as it asks for a password and I have no idea what that would be. So this is one of the reasons for the D-Link is to have a multoiport output to ether-cable my printers or my other desktops or even the laptops. I know the Franklin was selected at the time for mobility reasons so I can unplug from one computer and take it along - only I found out later from the ISP that I have to call them each time I disconnect and reconnect from one PC to another -which they should of told me uo front as they do not provide a 24hr service 27/7 (which I s real bummer as many times I travel late at night). Anyhow, please guide me through how I can make this work - otherwise I will just trash and live with Internet with my one desktop as I do now.

Thank you.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Sep 22, 2014 at 12:53 PM
The Ethernet cable connection between two routers should NOT use the WAN input port on the D-Link. It's also possible that you will need to use a special "crossover" LAN cable to connect the two devices. Many routers now have the ability to connect to a modem or router using "normal" Ethernet cables and do not need the crossover cable.

I suggest you read and or download the manual for your device. The manual will give you the default SSID and password for the WiFi connection. I should also tell you how to change to defaults for security. (see page 13)

http://www.franklinwireless.com/download/R526_hotspotrouter/openmobile/ver_R526_OMUG01_EN.pdf

It's possible that the Franklin device will never work in the manner you want. Cell phone modems are very restrictive in the way you can connect to them. The ISP does not want to provide a connection to your whole house.