External hardaware WD Elements cannot be detected by laptop

Closed
Cherylle830 Posts 1 Registration date Sunday January 25, 2015 Status Member Last seen January 25, 2015 - Jan 25, 2015 at 06:43 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Jan 26, 2015 at 02:50 AM
My WD Elements Model #WDBUZG0010BBK-PESN does not appear in my laptop. I attached and tried all of the USB port but it does not appear. The external hard drive's light is on though and there is some sort of soft noise or spinning inside. What shall I do? I have very important files in my external drive. I bought this almost 2 years ago and I rarely use it.

Hope to hear from you the soonest.
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Jan 26, 2015 at 02:50 AM
Hi Cherylle,

Sadly, those noises from the drive are not really a good sign. This may indicate some mechanical issue. Have you dropped the drive?
Firstly, I recommend you to check the drive on another PC and with another USB cable. Search for it Device Manager and Disk Management. Does it appear? What is the file format? If the drive is not shown anywhere, it is not working on another PC and you have some important files in it, I recommend you to try using a Linux Live CD. You might get enough access to copy all your data. If you manage to do so and you have some warranty left, contact the reseller and get a replacement.

Hope this helps