paulmay247
Registration date
Wednesday June 3, 2015
Status
Last seen
June 7, 2015
-
Hello,

User running Windows 7, with Outlook 2007, 20 GB PST.
User has two email account, 1 may be an IMAP, 1 may be POP, or both can be POP (I'll check if necessary)
No Exchange accounts.
Outlook wouldn't start, so I used SCANPST to repair (took hours, of course). Outlook ran slowly, but now is getting stuck again.
Ran Windows 7 Error-checking, with "Scan For and attempt recovery of bad sectors".
My thought was to:
Restart with startup items turned off.
Upgrade to Office 2013
See if Outlook will open the PST
Run SCANPST again
Does SCANPST compact the PST ?
Should I compact after running SCANPST ?
If I get Outlook Running, should I move old messages to separate PST files, a year at a time?
Any 3rd party repair tools that I can use?
Thanks.

2 replies

Registration date
Wednesday June 3, 2015
Status
Last seen
June 7, 2015

Run Windows 7 Error-checking, with "Scan For and attempt recovery of bad sectors".
This means the file was physically damaged.
If I get Outlook Running, should I move old messages to separate PST files, a year at a time?
I use Archiving. I have email back to 1996 and only a 1 GB main PST file. You can move emails to separate PST files, but Archiving does this automatically.
The maximum size of an Outlook 2007 file is 20Gb; the maximum size of an Outlook 2013 file is 50Gb. So the newer version can handle more email.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/982577/the-file-size-limits-of-pst-and-ost-files-are-larger-in-outlook-2010-a
However, very large PST files tend to slow down Outlook and Archiving is one excellent way to prevent issues.
Look at here also please
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20140901110014AABteIa
Thank you

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM 3983 users have said thank you to us this month

Registration date
Sunday October 5, 2008
Status
Last seen
December 23, 2019
Create a new Outlook profile and PST.

Once in Outlook go to File > Open

select the 20GB PST file and before you press open, press the arrow to the side of it and do open and repair.