[Solved/Closed]
Registration date
Wednesday July 29, 2015
Status
Last seen
August 2, 2015
-
 Blocked Profile -
Brandy new to this forum. Just bought a gaming computer off ebay from what seemed a reasonable guy. Build not so critical but was shipped with an unsecured HD. Sits on the case floor. Plug it in and all the fans run, PSU fan is running, fans on AMD 270X card both running, but no lights on MB, disc drive does not light or work, HD not spinning and obvious no boot up or output to the screen. Front light flashing blue. Need this quickly and seller will refund on DOA but hoping this might be something simple that can be remedied? HELP!

Jeff

4 replies

Registration date
Saturday January 17, 2015
Status
Last seen
September 30, 2021
Hi Jscopus

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. It is possible that the loose HDD has either been damaged in transit, or has damaged other hardware during shipping.

One of the first tests to try would be to unplug all periferals except keyboard, mouse and monitor. If it works then there will be a problem with one of the periferal devices.

However, in this case, I think it wont work. Try disconnecting the hard drive alltogether and switch it on. You should get a warning (generated from BIOS) that no bootable devices can be found. If you dont get this, then it might be worth changing the graphica card (if you have one), but I fear the worst for this one. If you do get such a message, then try with a different Hard drive.

Let me know how you get on.
Blocked Profile >
Registration date
Wednesday July 29, 2015
Status
Last seen
August 2, 2015

Like i said.

sometimes there are two power inputs to the MB. Sometimes the 4/6 pin will power fans.
Registration date
Wednesday July 29, 2015
Status
Last seen
August 2, 2015
> Blocked Profile
As instructed, took out a fan to get a better look at the MB. Disconnected and reconnected the four prong power plug. Can now see the MB LED light which goes on. May have been on before but location precluded me from seeing it. Still no boot up sounds. If the HD had been damaged during shipping as it dislodged from its foot mounts on the case, would the unit act like this with no MB blinking lights, no attempt to boot up? If I simply disconnect the HD, would that tell me anything?Does this sound like a bad MB?
Blocked Profile
As mentioned above - Remove all peripherals from the mobo and add components one at a time.

Try reseating the CPU too but if it still happens then it could be a mobo issue. Try a different power socket?
Registration date
Wednesday July 29, 2015
Status
Last seen
August 2, 2015
> Blocked Profile
This PC supposedly ran fine before it was shipped. Hate to pull everything apart when it is not even for my use. I don't want to play with the CPU as I can return the unit DOA. Was just trying to salvage this as I need the unit ASAP for my friend. I do have another PC at home that was a pretty hot setup 3-4 yrs ago. Could pull the HD and see if that is the problem. I do not have anything at all connected as far as peripherals. No mouse, keyboard, monitor. Just wanted to see if it would run and not getting far..LOL
Jeff
Registration date
Wednesday July 29, 2015
Status
Last seen
August 2, 2015

Sort of funny thing... Spoke with the guy and he claims the system was set up just to run through the video card so no VGA out? Pulled the HD and ran HDMI out to my flat screen and the ASUS info came up. Reinstalled the HD and SOB, it works. Does not make much of a sound, but it runs. So I guess I am an idiot. Need to get a DVI cable apparently to run to the monitor while the HDMI will go to the projector. Thanks for all the help.

SOLVED!!!

Reseat the CPU and memory.
Registration date
Wednesday July 29, 2015
Status
Last seen
August 2, 2015

As I was really impressed by the seriously knowledgeable help, thought I might press my luck and as a follow up now that the unit is purring. I am setting this up for a friend who has a golf simulator. One output will go to a projector w/WXGA capability and another to a touch screen that does 1028 x 1024 @75hz. The monitor is obviously less critical. I realize I can run both off the R9 270X graphics card, but will running two outputs (at what is likely modest resolution for this card) going to potentially degrade the image, and thus should try to activate both this and the MB integrated graphics in the BIOS with extended desktop, or is that just unnecessary, the card can easily handle it? Thanks to anyone taking the time to respond.

Hello again Jscopus,

could I ask that you create a new thread for this as this one is marked as solved and is for another issue please.

If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0