Conditional Format Restrictions

Closed
Mike - Aug 3, 2015 at 06:26 AM
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 - Aug 6, 2015 at 11:13 AM
Hi.

Need a little help with conditional formatting. Basically need to build in a excel spreadsheet a rule where conditoinal formatting will pick up a initial and look for it in an array of restrictions. If there is a restriction on that initial then the cell turns red.

So for example If I can't go to see a customer (joe blogs) and my initials are MM I need a formula that picks up that my initials have been put in a cell to go visit Joe Bloggs the conditional formatting will pick up I can't go to see that customer and turn the cell red until a new initial is inserted with no restrictions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards
Related:

2 responses

TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Aug 3, 2015 at 11:59 AM
Hi Mike,

So for example Joe Bloggs is in A1 and your initials are in B1.
If B1 is MM then A1 turns red and when B1 is anything else then A1 turns to normal.

Then select A1, apply conditional formatting and choose to use formula:
=B1="MM"

Best regards,
Trowa
Thank You for the response, it's not quite what I'm looking for but its probably the way I'm explaining it.

So I have a spreadsheet of 50/60 different customers and for each day I'm inserting initials of the staff member that will be dealing with that customer.

However certain staff members are not allowed to work with certain customers so I need a formula that will pick up a restriction from an array. If there is a restriction against the initial I have input in the cell I want the cell to turn red until a new initial that doesn't have a restriction is keyed in the cell.

But for some customers there will be more then one staff member that can't deal with them

Does that make sense?

Regards
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Aug 6, 2015 at 11:13 AM
Hi Mike,

Yes, that makes more sense.

I would dedicate a sheet to create a list of customers and the staff members that are allowed to work with them. Then use Data Validation to only allow input of the correct staff members.

In case you are not familiar with the above, take a look at the sample book below:
http://ge.tt/7I1hBlL2/v/0?c

Will this work for you?

Best regards,
Trowa