Old IDE issue

Closed
Photogeric Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday August 4, 2015 Status Member Last seen August 4, 2015 - Aug 4, 2015 at 02:14 PM
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   - Aug 5, 2015 at 07:47 AM
Hello,

So I have had an old PATA IDE Maxtor drive for some time that hasn't been used since I got rid of my desktop some time ago. I finally bought a Sabrent IDE to USB converter with enclosure. I have Windows 8. When I first plugged the drive into my laptop, the computer responded with the usual chime noise, and began an initialization window. After a brief moment, the window disappeared and the drive was nowhere to be found on my computer. I checked the device manager and the disk management and there is nothing there. I had read in some places to go into device manager and select Show hidden devices and then delete the greyed out options but that didn't seem to work either. I attached a jumper to the master and also the CS enabled option on the hard drive to no avail. One funny thing is the drive appears to react anytime I attempt any Computer Management options on my computer. Any thoughts on something that I haven't done to get this to work?
Related:

1 response

KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122
Aug 5, 2015 at 07:47 AM
Hello Photogeric,

Have you tried connecting your Maxtor device with another adaptor and to another PC? Can you hear the drive spinning at all?
The cable might not provide enough power for the drive to spin so I think you should try another one, even enclosure, if you have the option.

Hope this helps.