December 16, 2015
-
Registration date
Friday October 10, 2014
Status
Last seen
October 19, 2016
-
Hello. My laptop is a hp15 notebook pro, Windows 8.1 , 64_bit Operating system .I used to have a free space over 200 gig but then I got new movies and it dropped below to 197 gigabytes. Shortly after I discovered that each time I delete a file and empty the recycle bin too like I always do the new and actual free space shows. going back later to check I'll find it back at 197 gigabytes. Using command prompt to check I found out I actually a total of 212gigabytes.what do I do to resolve this? Thanks.

1 reply

Registration date
Friday October 10, 2014
Status
Last seen
October 19, 2016
Hey there, Susan.

This is a bit odd. You could try to free up disk space by running Disk Cleanup - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/tips-to-free-up-drive-space-on-your-pc-4d97fc4a-0175-8d49-ac2f-bcf27de46d34 Select for deletion "Downloaded Program Files", "Temporary Internet Files" and "Temporary Files", to see if that frees up the space you're missing.
You could also try a disk space analyzing program, to see what's on your hard drive and if there's anything out of the ordinary.
I'd also recommend that you run a full scan with your antivirus program, to see it detects any threats on your computer.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

Thank you

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM 2942 users have said thank you to us this month

Registration date
Sunday August 23, 2015
Status
Last seen
December 16, 2015

Hey thanks. After much ado I found out that the space was being taken up by system restore point. I deleted the previous restore points and got the space back. Thanks.
Registration date
Friday October 10, 2014
Status
Last seen
October 19, 2016
34 >
Registration date
Sunday August 23, 2015
Status
Last seen
December 16, 2015

Sure thing. :)