Will my Dell Dimension 8200 handle vista

Closed
Drxzero Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday April 15, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 16, 2009 - Apr 16, 2009 at 08:11 AM
 Mikey_B - Aug 1, 2009 at 11:41 PM
Hello,
Ok, my computer has 2 GHZ CPU, 94 gigs of memory, I need an upgrade on my ram its only 256...
I have a Geforce 400 MX/MX graphics card. I also have a DVD drive.

I would like to know what I should get for ram, for some reason I only have 2 slots. Also I wanted to know if I could run vista pretty good if I got more ram.

Thanks,
Drx
Related:

3 responses

It will not be able to handle Vista. You have 2 memory slots in the 8200 and if memory serves me they are the very expensive RIMM memory module. Vista (32bit) REALLY needs 3GB and a 3GHz processor or more to run with any efficiency at all, and dual core is stronlgy preferred. Keep in mind that your 8200 is 7 years old. Time to let go. Make sure your system is backed up. A new system from Dell will cost $600 with more memory, hard drive and lots more processor with a warranty, and with a downgrade to XP, Vista included and Windows 7 upgrade included. You should also ask why you want Vista. It has been slower adn less reliable than XP. As a technician I have to run it, but it has not performed well. Hope this helps.
Natasha_P Posts 2 Registration date Thursday July 9, 2009 Status Member Last seen July 10, 2009
Jul 10, 2009 at 05:43 AM
It will not support Vista with only 256 Mb of memory.

BTW, I would recommend to wait a little bit before upgrading your computer and install Windows 7 when it is officially released.
Like knowing if DELL 8200 Dimension will do vista well mine sure did install vista becuase my DELL is 2.8GHZ Prosessor pluss 120GB Hard Drive pluss 128MB Graphics Card. Mine has 4 Slots and so your DELL must been a older version of mine then if only got 2 Modual Slots onboard well can be expensive as this guy below said but you got look around for best deals for upgardes a found http://www.aememory.co.uk to be a fare price bissness. A upgraded my memory from aememory and perhaps the memory looking for might be what your looking for depening on price range you looking spend your Dell compuer. The other problem is Drivers issue for system but a used a driver scanner and got what driver a needed for Vista. A was gonna try windows serven on Dell 8200 but being 7 years old like mine is fully upgarded to maxium a am allowed a think it stops at Windows Vista Dell 8200 and memory type your after is proberly 512MB-800-40 RIMM BUS or 256MB-800-40 RIMM BUS- But only got 2 slots it 1GB you need for your computer to install vista minimum requirements. to see if windows vista install and your sure you got everything installed ready for vista go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/get/system-requirements.aspx That link sould help and you decide if your machine can take vista and a damm sure it will do because a am using vista ultimate now on Dell Dimension 8200 Machine. A do know for a fact it will take windows vista Basic pluss all Versions of windows Vista. A am gonna try install windows Serven bust get an error in middle of setup a know then it wil never do windows seven. Cross my fingers hope it does. Maxumum Ram for Dell Machine is 2GB of Ram if over load board can do damage to motherboard.

Regards;

Michael Birchall

Anyone like ask quesions please email me SchMichael23@hotmail.com and be to assist and ex member of Dell (Ireland) Computer Corporation.