Match columns and assign a value from 3rd column

Closed
Jen - Mar 22, 2016 at 02:07 PM
Coley925 Posts 10 Registration date Tuesday March 22, 2016 Status Member Last seen March 31, 2016 - Mar 22, 2016 at 03:10 PM
I have a list of ticket buyers from a recent event, including their zip code.

I have a separate spreadsheet with every California zip code and it's County. I have this as a list and also Comma separated for each County.

I am trying to create a formula that can match the ticket buyers zip code to the list of CA zip codes and assign the correct County name.

I have toyed with IF, VLOOKUP, etc. but can't figure it out. I know there must be a way.

Help!

1 response

Coley925 Posts 10 Registration date Tuesday March 22, 2016 Status Member Last seen March 31, 2016
Mar 22, 2016 at 03:10 PM
First, make sure in your Zip & county spreadsheet, that the zipcode column is before the county column.

As an example, lets say on the zip & county spreadsheet, the zipcode is located in Column A, and the county is located in column B.

And, on the ticket buyer spreadsheet, the zipcode is located in column G, and you want the county to go in Column H

Click in the first cell on your ticket buyer spreadsheet in the county column where you want the information to go (H2), then click the fx on your formula bar, and select VLookup

In the Function Arguments popup, click in the "Lookup_Value" cell, and highlight Column G or the column your zipcodes are located in the ticket buyer spreadsheet.

Next, click in the Table_Array cell, and go to your zip & county spreadsheet, then highlight Columns A&B

Next, click in the Col_index_num cell, and type 2

Next, click in the Range_lookup cell, and type false

Click Ok, and the first county should appear in H2 of your ticket buyer spreadsheet.

If you click and drag, it should copy the same formula so that it populates the county for the remainder of your ticket buyers.

To make sure the information in your ticketbuyer does not change, highlight the column, right-click, copy, then paste special values.

Hope this helps!!