Outlook 2003 - restore file does not show up

Closed
zillah2004 Posts 8 Registration date Saturday August 30, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 20, 2015 - Apr 23, 2009 at 08:20 AM
zillah2004 Posts 8 Registration date Saturday August 30, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 20, 2015 - Apr 23, 2009 at 09:21 AM
Hello,

Friend of mine has got desktop with XP home Edition (not professional)

OS get corrupted; I took the HD out and backup its data. I copied the whole partition C -got only one partition- (of course with its hidden files) which had those three folders :

Windows , Program files, Documents and Settings to an external USB HD.

I did not backup the system32, because it was big and I did not have enough space

Then I plugged the HD again , and I installed fresh copy of XP professional (not home edition), after that I copied :

Those files (My Documents, Favorites, Desktop icons, and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Outlook

I was able to restore My Documents, Favorites, Desktop icons, but I could not get emails,!!!!!.

By the way I have not setup his account with outlook yet, because I do not know what his username and password (Is that necessary at this stage ?)

Do I need to copy program files as well ?

Have I done the right thing or I missed up ?

Thanks
Related:

2 responses

kofastamps Posts 21 Registration date Saturday August 23, 2008 Status Member Last seen June 10, 2009 5
Apr 23, 2009 at 08:42 AM
Yes this is quite normal because there's another way to backup the emails

You should have done this :

Outlook

The procedure to save and then import your emails in Outlook is similar, but different.

To start with, Outlook uses a file extension called pst, or Personal Folder File. Don't ask me why it's called that. Call Bill Gates and ask him.

Export

You will start on the old computer and with Outlook open, click on File, then 'Import and Export'. This opens the Import and Export Wizard. Choose 'Export to a file' then click Next. Choose 'Personal Folder File' here and then click Next. In the Export Personal Folders dialogue box you have your choice of what you want to do. The easiest is to keep the default choice of just the inbox, but if you want your sent items and all the other folders, choose the top item (Personal Folders) and then choose the 'Include subfolders' option and then click Next.

The next window will have a default location listed
(usually C:Documents and Settings'your computer name'Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlookbackup.pst). I would suggest following the same procedure as for OE (see above). Then click 'Finish' and let it do it's thing.
Once you have your pst files backed up, move to the new computer and the import process will again be similar to OE.

Connect your external hard drive to your computer or insert the CD into the drive.

Import

Open Outlook, click on File, then Import and Export. In the Import and Export Wizard, this time choose 'Import from another program or file' then click Next. In the 'Import a File' window, scroll down and select Personal Folder File (.pst) and then click Next.

In the 'Import Personal Folders' window, click the Browse button and navigate out to the location of your backed up pst file, choose it and then click Next. Click 'Finish' and it will import all of your messages..
zillah2004 Posts 8 Registration date Saturday August 30, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 20, 2015
Apr 23, 2009 at 09:21 AM
>>You will start on the old computer and with Outlook open, click on File, then 'Import and Export'. This opens the Import and Export Wizard. Choose 'Export to a file' then click Next. Choose 'Personal Folder File' here and then click Next. In the Export Personal Folders dialogue box you have your choice of what you want to do. The easiest is to keep the default choice of just the inbox, but if you want your sent items and all the other folders, choose the top item (Personal Folders) and then choose the 'Include subfolders' option and then click Next. <<

I wish if I could have been able to access the old computer ,,,,as I mentioned the OS is corrupted , I could not get the login screen for window