4-5 year old Gateway desktop PC will not boot

Closed
Robert Munson - May 19, 2016 at 12:01 PM
 Robert Munson - May 20, 2016 at 01:16 AM
Hello,

This morning I came down to my PC with the Gateway logo staring at me.
64-bit OS, Windows 10 Home, version 1511, OS Build 10586.318 AMD A6 quad processor, 10 GB Ram.
It said something like Del: BIOS setup F12: boot options
But, pressing keys (Del or F12) did nothing.
I could press and hold the power/reset button to achieve poweroff.
I could press it again and arrive at the same dead screen.
In short, I had a very dead computer.

I brought out my laptop (even older) and browsed some.
I found a very old Ubuntu disk that my nephew had left for me years ago. I placed that into my CD/DVD drive and tried to reboot.

That created something different - I got a blue screen of death with a message about Critical Process Died. Then it went into reboot mode and Windows 10 booted. It shows my DVD drive has a Ubuntu Install disk loaded. I thought it was a 'boot from' disk. And since I know nothing about Linux, I had no idea what I was going to do if it did boot up in Linux!

In any case, it is (right this minute) working. But I have NO idea why it failed and NO idea why it worked. It failed many times prior to trying to boot with the Ubuntu disk loaded. Why on earth that would change anything is beyond me, since it is not a boot disk.

Anyway, I have read lots of google searches about my situation and they talk about removing batteries from the motherboard and rewiring the power/reset button (didn't know there was a difference). I am not a total novice, but not very experienced at this kind of troubleshooting. Any ideas?
Related:

4 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
May 19, 2016 at 03:31 PM
I suspect your hard disk is starting to fail. The Ubuntu boot/instal might have cleared a problem that Windows could not recover from. The Ubuntu disk is probably both an install and a boot disk. It should have given you an option to boot or install.

It was probably a one in a thousand occurrence that no one can fully explain.
Robert Munson
May 19, 2016 at 05:06 PM
Is there some test or log or anything that might confirm the suspicion that the hard drive is starting to fail? Most of my PCs have been around 6-8 years prior to replacement, but if that is the issue, I have no problem replacing it. But, I would like to know, if possible, before I buy one but fail to fix what is wrong.

Anyway, thanks for your advice/thoughts on the matter.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
May 19, 2016 at 06:54 PM
Blocked Profile
May 20, 2016 at 12:16 AM
Mainboard errox. Go to guaranted.
Robert Munson
May 20, 2016 at 01:16 AM
Mainboard errox. Go to guaranted.
Sorry, but I'm not clear about what this post is saying.