How to create an text based spreadsheet

Closed
Learner2 Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday May 24, 2016 Status Member Last seen May 24, 2016 - May 24, 2016 at 05:58 PM
 Blocked Profile - May 24, 2016 at 07:34 PM
I have access to Excel 2010 in an MS Office Suites.

What I am try to do is to create a spreadsheet where I can enter a designated code (i.e. A1, A2 etc,) into one cell, and for a set text to appear in an adjacent cell. The designated text would need to be picked up from either somewhere on the same sheet or another.

So say I enter "A1" in one cell and desire that text in terms of "Jack and Jill" appears in an adjoining cell. Then if I enter A2 in the cell below, I want it to show the text "The grand old duke of York".

I want to have a number of prescribed paragraphs one after the other, probably about 100. I would select those paragraphs relevant to my needs - i.e. A1, A3, B5 etc.

Can anyone help and give me step by step instructions how I can do this?

2 responses

Blocked Profile
May 24, 2016 at 06:17 PM
Please reference the IF syntax below:

=IF(a1="yes,"A1=YES","NOPE, IT DOESN"T WORK!")

The format for the above Statement, is as follows:
=IF(Logic_test,true,false)

You can nest IF statements, as in:
=IF(A1="yes",IF(B1="yes","THEY ARE BOTH YES!","ONLY A1 is yes"),"neither one is yes")

I hope this has helped, and you have learned a little. Post back some code if you get stuck!

Have FUN!

It's kind of fun to do the impossible! -Walter Elias Disney
Learner2 Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday May 24, 2016 Status Member Last seen May 24, 2016
May 24, 2016 at 07:09 PM
I have probably confused everyone (including myself) by referring to A1, A2 etc. I did not mean cell identifiers but simply the identifier for the 100 or so paragraphs. Let's call them something else i.e. something simple like 1, 2, 3, 4. I might only want to use say paragraphs 2 and 4 in my final document.

So my intent would be to put in "1" into cell A1 and for it then to show the text paragraph appearing in another cell.

ac3mark - so grateful for your answer but not working for me at the moment. I expect it is my fault. Kind Regards and thanks for your endeavour. If you can indicate a solution I will be very grateful.
Blocked Profile
May 24, 2016 at 07:34 PM
Ok, so you may have to make those paragraphs into "RANGES". We cannot programmatically format the sheets for you!

Logic test against the RANGES!

See Below.

NOTICE the window that has "select" in it! That is a RANGE of the cells that have a value in them. Does this make sense?

Now you can test against RANGES!
It's kind of fun to do the impossible! -Walter Elias Disney