PC displays no image to monitor. Not the monitor or the cable.

Closed
Panfish84 Posts 2 Registration date Monday July 18, 2016 Status Member Last seen July 20, 2016 - Jul 18, 2016 at 02:14 PM
 Blocked Profile - Jul 20, 2016 at 05:50 PM
Why does my PC display no image, just a blank screen as though the monitor is not receiving any signal from the PC?

Recently my desktop was powering itself down. Its 6 years old, and had never been cleaned. I opened it up and it was beyond filthy. I removed all main components,I used a static mat and grounded myself to chassis while handling the components, cleaned the whole thing out carefully with compressed air, re-assembled and started it up. It worked, but In BIOS I checked the CPU temp and watched it climb about 1 degree every 5 seconds up into the 80s. Upon removing the side panel I could see that the CPU fan was not spinning. Assuming this was caused by the filth, and the likely cause of my PC's shutdowns I removed the heat sink and stock liquid cooler and radiator. I cleaned up all the old thermal compound carefully with rubbing alcohol and Q-tips as advised by dozens of instructional videos. I purchased a new heat sink and CPU fan, applied the thermal paste and installed the heat sink / fan as well as a new chassis fan. Plug it in and all lights come on and all fans are spinning. Connect to monitor and nothing. I remove heat sink, ensure that CPU is seated properly, re-clean and re-apply thermal paste, re-connect heat sink and CPU fan. Hook it up, no image. I order a new graphics card that is compatible with my motherboard, Install it. Hook up CPU, no image. During the handling I took all necessary safety precautions and ESD prevention measures. I've ruled out all of the easy fixes. It's not the monitor, it's not the cable, it's not the power supply. Now what do I do?
I'm currently in the final weeks of an A+ certification class at my local community college and the fact that I can't even troubleshoot my own Desktop is bothering me deeply. I know it's old and have since replaced the system with a new one, but I really wanted to get the old one working again to test my newly gained knowledge from this class. Any help will be greatly appreciated...
Related:

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Jul 18, 2016 at 07:03 PM
If your original design included a water cooler, than you getting 6 years out of it is AWESOME! PC'S of this type typically would need tweeking on a yearly basis! Boot to a USB drive and start troubleshooting A+!

You have another PC to build a USB drive to trouble shoot right? Can you boot to BIOS?
Panfish84 Posts 2 Registration date Monday July 18, 2016 Status Member Last seen July 20, 2016
Jul 20, 2016 at 01:05 PM
I do have another PC but I'm afraid I don't really understand how to trouble shoot a PC that won't display an image via USB. I'm going to look at it again and try taking it apart and putting it back together. If I can't get it this time I'll check back in with you.
Blocked Profile
Jul 20, 2016 at 05:50 PM
But you are going to be an A+ cert tech! Get used to doing this, over and over and over!

Break, fix it! Break, Fix it!

It's kind of fun to do the impossible! -Walter Elias Disney