Place specfic text in cell based on text in an adjacent cell

Solved/Closed
RKF-CCM Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday August 30, 2016 Status Member Last seen August 30, 2016 - Aug 30, 2016 at 07:24 PM
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 - Sep 6, 2016 at 12:03 PM
Hello Folks,

Per the preface, I have a cell that has validation rules of "Concur, Non-concur". If the user selects "Non-concur" for that cell, I want to place text into the adjacent cell to the right.

For example, if A and B are the cells in question, and I select "Non-concur" as the value for A1, I want the then place a string in B1. I have tried using a conditional formatting formula in B1 such as =IF(A1="Non-concur","Sample text",). That formula does not cause an error, yet it gives no results. That is, the string "Sample text" does not appear in B1.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting this done?

Most appreciated.

Fergie

3 responses

TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Sep 1, 2016 at 11:25 AM
Hi Fergie,

You want to enter text in the cell and not change it's format, so why use conditional format?

Put the IF formula in B1. B1 will show False when A1 doesn't contain "Non-concur". To prevent that use this: =IF(A1="Non-concur","Sample text","")

Best regards,
Trowa
Hi Trowa,

Thanks for the response. I have tried that and did not get anything in the target cell.
I also tried negative logic, that is =IF(A1<>"Concur","Sample text",""), which did work but, the problem is the Sample text shows up in B1 in the rows where the user has not selected a choice of Concur or Non-concur. I tried conditional formatting on B1 to change font to white so that text doesn't show, that did not work either.
Mazzaropi Posts 1985 Registration date Monday August 16, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 24, 2023 147
Sep 2, 2016 at 06:44 PM
Fergie, Good evening.

The Trowa's formula:

B1 -->
=IF(A1="Non-concur","Sample text","")

works perfectly for your case.

Did you checked if there is any rule of Conditional Format acting at B1?

It's a simple case and there is no reason for not work.
Belo Horizonte, Brasil.
Marcílio Lobão
Found something that worked:

=IF(OR(A1="C",A1=""),"","Sample Text")

This formula goes into A2 and leaves A2 blank even when he user has not selected a value from the validation list in A1.

Thanks.
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Sep 6, 2016 at 12:03 PM
Hi Fergie,

That doesn't make sense, since anything other then the letter C or empty cell will produce the result text "Sample Text".

But if it works for you, than we are happy.

Best regards,
Trowa