Using two routers to connect to work laptop

Closed
BD - May 5, 2009 at 10:24 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - May 5, 2009 at 03:16 PM
Hello,

I recently signed for Virgin broadband having moved house and got a new netgear modem. My work laptop has a tight security system for working from home and needs to be connected to the router with a cable. Problem is that is does not work when directly connected to the new netgear router. It does work if I take an ethernet cable from the virgin netgear router to my old router (speedtouch st585 v6) and then a further ethernet cable to my laptop. Complicated!

Ideally I would like to not have to sit right next to the modem, so would love to get my two routers to connect wirelessly, then sit in my office with my speedtouch router with an ethernet cable into my laptop.

Is there any way of doing this!!!?

Many thanks!!
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
May 5, 2009 at 03:16 PM
using the second router as a "bridge" can be done by replacing the firmware (internal programs) on some routers. This is not an easy fix and should be attempted only by the geekest of geeks and can result in a broken router ( "bricked" is the term used for this result).