Grapics Card Help

Solved/Closed
CPUSlayer - May 5, 2009 at 04:05 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - May 5, 2009 at 09:54 PM
Hello, I am having problems with getting my graphics card to work I have a custom built gaming computer with a Nvidia 9500Gt PCI-E and I checked to make sure it is connected properly to the motherboard but someone told me because it is a PCI-E I may have to hook up another power source to it to make it work they said something about 6pin 8pin but I didn't understand,the computer does not even recognize that it is there and it wont put out any video so someone please help ME!!!!!!! The computer is running Windows vista ultimate 64bit
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
May 5, 2009 at 09:54 PM
Yes you need to connect another power cable to the card. You didn't give the manufacturer name so I am just guessing on the exact power cable needed. I checked 3 different brands and they all say they need a 6-pin cable for extra power and anywhere from a 350W to 450W power supply. Some brands come with a 6-pin to Molex cable adapter (if you have a older power supply).

If you have a relatively new power supply it should come with one or two 6-pin cables. There should be a socket on the back edge for the 6-pin cable. It can only plug-in one way - so DON'T try to force it.
Good Luck