I have a similar problem, I cannot install Avira antivirus. When open Avira setup this message come "a device attached to the system is not functioning" this message come when I try to install Avira or other antiviruses.
To help you and prescribe the remedy, I must make a diagnostic and to do so, I require a report.
1. Open this link and download ZHPDiag :
https://nicolascoolman.eu (Don't be alarmed is the site is in French, it sometimes happens, the tool will take your system language and allow the download if you get a warning message, ignore it.) Click on the download button
2. Save the file on your Desktop.
3. Double click on ZHPDiag.exe and follow the installation instructions.
(For Vista, Win 7 and 8 users, click right to ensure you execute with admin right)
4. Double click on the short cut ZHPDiag on your Destktop.
5 Click on scan
Wait for the tool to finished (maybe a long time)
8. Search the directory where you installed ZHPDiag (usually C:\desktop\zhpdiag.txt).
9. Copy the url link obtained from tinyupload and paste it here in your reply.
Moderator and Virus/Security Contributor
Rapport de ZHPFix 2015.10.19.9 par Nicolas Coolman, Update du 19/10/2015
Fichier d'export Registre :
Run by RAED at 11/29/2016 2:40:45 PM
High Elevated Privileges : OK
Windows 8 Home Premium Edition, 64-bit Service Pack 1 (10586)
Unfortunately, nothing happen
I cannot install Avira. The same message come.
Also, there are some of the symptoms that I have not mentioned above. For example:
I cannot enable Windows update
I cannot open windows strat menu
Sometimes when I open some apps this message come "Access is denied"