Tried to do a safe boot, now nothing but a black screen?

Closed
Amy - Dec 28, 2016 at 11:29 AM
 Amy - Dec 29, 2016 at 09:24 AM
Hello,

I hope I have chosen the right category. Due to various problems I had with a certain virus that prevented me from using a lot of programs, I tried to follow the instructions displayed on this website:

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

To get info safe mode. I tried using f8 and what not but that did not work, and after applying this step:

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/sites/default/files/gdrive/win10_safe_mode/win10_safemode_3

and restarted it as it said I had to, the screen stays black and nothing happens. I have tried googling for solutions but I'm starting to panic as none of it seems to work.

I have a PC and aside from the virus everything worked fine up until now.

If there is anything else you need to know to possibly help me, please let me know.

Related:

2 responses

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Dec 29, 2016 at 09:13 AM
Hi Amy

So, right now instead of getting the Windows screen and wallpaper you get a black screen with no icons and no taskbar, right? In that case, there may be a problem with the boot files. Trying Safe Mode was a good idea. It usually helps in similar situations.
I would use a Windows installation drive. If you do not want to reinstall Windows, use the Repair option. It may fix some startup errors but will not harm your stored data. Please test it and let me know if there is progress.

Hope this helps

Hi R2D2_WD,

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

I want to let you know that I have managed to resolve my problem, by something quite simple actually. This is probably going to sound a bit stupid, but I have two HDMI ports, one connected directly to my graphical card and another one that I was currently using (never had any problems with that one and I'm not sure what it's connected to exactly). I don't know why it made a difference (maybe you will but I'm a noob regarding that haha), but as soon as I put my monitor into the HDMI port that was directly connected to the graphical card, it started up in safe mode perfectly fine.

I then scanned for malware (since I could use the software now) and removed it and removed the settings for the startup in safe mode. I decided to reinstall my windows anyway to be certain that I got rid of everything (after moving my most important files), so it's all fine now. :)