Adding protection to prevent ransomware

Solved/Closed
Blocked Profile - Jan 20, 2017 at 10:33 AM
 Blocked Profile - Jan 26, 2017 at 07:00 PM
Quick guide!

A lot of computers are being infected with ransomware which encrypts files meaning the chances of recovery is slim.

I've come across a free BETA program from malwarebytes which aims to prevent ransomware from taking over your files.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/177751-introducing-malwarebytes-anti-ransomware-beta/

It can't hurt to have this running along side your AV.

Of course, this comes as an additional measure to your normal antivirus. The way to stay protected is to stay up to date with Windows updates, install the free McAfee site advisor toolbar, regularly run scans with your AV and even another program like ESET Online scanner.

But most of all, be smart when you're on the internet.

9 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Jan 20, 2017 at 05:56 PM
thanks for the info
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Jan 20, 2017 at 06:46 PM
Greetings Lord K,

Thank you very much. This is a very interesting piece of information.

Malwarebyte antivirus can eradicate the virus but the files can rarely be fully decrypted.

Usually ransomware came in the form of email attachment, but recently I have found out that it may come from such websites which offer free movies.

Do you know if the software is free ? Would the scanning engine create conflicts with the antivirus ?

I suggest that we insert it in our download section once it's no longer a beta version.

Again, all of our gratitude.
Blocked Profile
Jan 20, 2017 at 10:17 PM
This software started off named something else then MBAM bought the product and hired the creator. It will run along side any AV and is free for the moment. It will handle cryptolocker and other variants. It's in the beta stage and isn't advised to run in a normal environment but I think it'll be fine.

Trialling it so far and it's not had an impact.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Jan 24, 2017 at 06:08 PM
Greetings again Lord K

Considering that the software is in a beta version and that the editor says: "As this is the very first beta we do encourage beta users to install the product in non-production environments for testing purposes only."

Do you think that we should wait before putting it online or publish it with due warning?

Best Regards

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Blocked Profile
Jan 24, 2017 at 07:54 PM
It's in version 8 and they acquired it from when it was known as cryptomonitor. Chances are it works fine they just say beta so they can't be held responsible. I've had it on my machine for a week and I now have it on a server 2008 terminal server. I would publish it with a disclaimer. This software could potentially prevent some serious fluff ups however I've had no issues.
Blocked Profile
Jan 24, 2017 at 07:55 PM
Even if you just publish an article rather than the software. At least people will know it exists. You could embed the video which also demonstrates it at work
Jan 25, 2017 at 05:41 AM
The anti-Ransomware is no longer in the beta version, it is included MalwareBytes antivirus software of course in premium version (shareware, paying)
Blocked Profile
Jan 25, 2017 at 09:53 AM
I guess it is.

However, you can still download the beta and have free protection ;)
Blocked Profile
Jan 26, 2017 at 07:00 PM
Here is some more ammunition in your help fighting ransomware.

https://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Adding duff entries in the HOST file to prevent hijacking and avoiding potential crap.

Here is another site with a list of instructions on how to protect yourself. Pay attention to the group policy to put SOFTWARE RESTRICTIONS in place to prevent EXE files being run in common places used by malicious code.

http://www.questiondriven.com/2016/03/07/how-to-prevent-ransomware-infections/