Excel Formula Parent/Child Heirarchy assistance required please

Closed
jgroverm Posts 1 Registration date Friday May 5, 2017 Status Member Last seen May 5, 2017 - May 5, 2017 at 10:23 PM
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 - May 9, 2017 at 11:11 AM
Hello and good morning,

I respectfully would like to ask for assistance please with an issue I'm having to find an Excel formula to compare data from one cell in a row to another cell in a column in an indentured hierarchy level, I am required to create a flat hierarchy out of an indentured hierarchy and information from select cells is required to be transposed into another spreadsheet of the same work book.

For Example, if the level is 1 (parent part), there is information in different cells that is required to be transposed to another spreadsheet in the same work book, then the requirement to have all the Level 2 (child parts) data transposed in columns next the information for the parent and there could be multiple child parts. I would be absolutely grateful if someone out there knows of a formula that might make this more of an automated task, instead of cutting and pasting, please.

Thank you in advance for any help or assistance anyone might be able to give me with this issue please.

1 response

TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
May 9, 2017 at 11:11 AM
Hi jgroverm,

It is not clear to me what you are trying to achieve. I don't see any transposing actions.

Could you upload your sample file showing how it is now and also show how the data would look like once it is processed. Make sure your sample data covers all of the scenario's that might occur. Like the column with header 'Level 1' can only have 1 value (computer 1) or more?

Upload your file to a free file sharing site like www.speedyshare.com or ge.tt and post back the download link. Always be careful with sensitive data.

Best regards,
Trowa