Computer Won't Start, Hardware shorted out?

Closed
Zero1993 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday July 6, 2017 Status Member Last seen July 7, 2017 - Jul 6, 2017 at 08:41 PM
Zero1993 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday July 6, 2017 Status Member Last seen July 7, 2017 - Jul 7, 2017 at 10:48 PM
I was playing the Sims 3 and had just plopped down a house on a lot (which makes the ram and CPU spike quick), when all of a sudden the screen went black. Ctrl+Alt+Delete didn't work and neither did Alt+Tab so I then held the power button down on the computer until it shut down. I restarted the computer and after the HP symbol welcome, the computer screen went black again before the sign in screen. Already tried system restore and HP automatic repair and unplugging the computer and pressing the power button a few times, didn't work. I was able to log in surprisingly through safe mode via command prompt and back up all of my data. So I guess this means that there's nothing wrong with my hard drive i'm guessing, any ideas what I should look for or what needs to be replaced?
I'm on my iPad now and I have a separate laptop but this is my gaming computer.

The computer is a HP Envy Phoenix h9-1387 (purchased July 2013) Windows 8.1

1 response

Blocked Profile
Jul 7, 2017 at 12:05 PM
OK, boot into safe mode again, and start a chkdsk process, and reboot. Perhaps some files got mangled, and the HDD needs to be straightened out. Also, you can run a memory check, to make certain that the problem isn't in RAM.
Zero1993 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday July 6, 2017 Status Member Last seen July 7, 2017
Jul 7, 2017 at 10:48 PM
I just tried chkdsk /f :c and chkdsk /r and then booted back without safe mode and black screen again after the HP Symbol. I did the Memory check and it passed both the basic and standard, but got stuck at 21% on extended. Also just finished HP Diagnostics and HP Start-Up Test and HP System Tune-Up which took over six hours. Everything passed except for the Video Memory Check on HP System Tune-Up which failed. Currently running memtest86. What does this mean? A bad RAM stick possibly? How easy would it be to fix this? Never had to deal with hardware issues so not sure if I should just take it in to a computer shop or something. Would rather not if its a simple replacement