PC starts up but shuts down after awhile

Closed
Thranta Posts 5 Registration date Friday March 22, 2019 Status Member Last seen March 24, 2019 - Mar 22, 2019 at 02:27 PM
 Blocked Profile - Mar 24, 2019 at 04:19 PM
Hello,
So I am not sure the exact specs of my PC but it’s a low end gaming rig that has got some problems, that never caused problems. Has a 6 core prossesor with the 6th core unstable so it’ is set to only run on 5. But the only problem I have had with it is that recently, couple years ago, when I finaly started it back up to play my MMO (had not used it in a long time, maybe 6-9 months?) it started up fine and I logged in and opened my game up and then the audio and video died. Thought maybe it crashed or needed an update since it had been so long. So I had to hold the power button down, set my power button to sleep the PC, and then started it up again. Got past the log in, went to setting to check updates and it said it was good for that then it lost audio and video again. Turned it off and on and I logged in then it died. Then it would get to the log in screen and die again. If I left it for an hour or so it would let me use it for 15-20 mins before doing the same thing.
I read in another forum on another cite that it could be capacitors that swelled from moisture and that is why it works for less time, heats up and expands, breaking the connection and thus shorter time before it cuts out. I took a cursory glance inside the case but I am more software than hardware but it looked like the RAM was seated right and heat sink was fine and not terribly dusty. The tower had been in the trunk of my car for several weeks (do not drive much) and my house used to be really humid before central air.
I saw similear but not the same problem posts here and around, any further ideas?

System Configuration: iPhone / Safari 12.0
Related:

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Mar 22, 2019 at 03:07 PM
Heat is permanent damage, and it does not have to be ON for heat to damage it!
Thranta Posts 5 Registration date Friday March 22, 2019 Status Member Last seen March 24, 2019
Mar 22, 2019 at 11:07 PM
That does not eally address the problem or anything. It has got a large cooling fan and the whole side of the case is vented. Since I bought it 3 years ago or so I have only used it maybe 40 hours. I do everything on my laptop or game consoles.
You stated that "the tower was in the trunk of my car for several weeks". How hot was the trunk on any given 8 hour period?
Thranta Posts 5 Registration date Friday March 22, 2019 Status Member Last seen March 24, 2019
Mar 23, 2019 at 12:20 PM
not sure how hot, I live in northern Wisconsin and it does get hot but it is also stupid humid, hence why I mentioned the trunk. But it did work a little while after that.
Mar 23, 2019 at 12:35 PM
Would specs or pictures help at all? Like I said it will run for a short time and the side case is held on with two thumb screws.
Blocked Profile
Mar 23, 2019 at 04:43 PM
Take the side off, and see if it runs cooler.
Mar 24, 2019 at 03:20 PM
The graphics card has a fan, the power supply has a fan, the front of the tower by the HDD has a fan and the side with all the holes has a fan. But I suppose it is worth a shot.
Blocked Profile
Mar 24, 2019 at 04:19 PM
Yea, need more forced cooling. See what dircetion the fan in front is blowing, and install another one in the back blowing the same direction.