Noob to VPN

Solved/Closed
69Rixter Posts 48 Registration date Wednesday March 25, 2015 Status Member Last seen November 25, 2022 - Oct 21, 2022 at 05:13 PM
HelpiOS Posts 14315 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 26, 2024 - Oct 24, 2022 at 06:19 PM

Hello,

I'm a complete noob to VPN. Watched a few tutorials, but honestly, I'd rather have input from those who have and use a VPN on a regular basis. Feel I need to employ a VPN for, at this time, I'm relegated to using public comps. And, besides, when I do get my new laptop, it'd probably be a good idea to install one on it. So, been considering PROTONVPN(?) Would like to hear from you concerning your thoughts on a particular software(VPN) and why you choose/use it. Also, any tips, ideas, cautions and pitfalls I should avoid. All responses are appreciated.

Rick

Windows / Chrome 106.0.0.0

Related:

2 responses

HelpiOS Posts 14315 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 26, 2024 1,891
Oct 24, 2022 at 05:40 PM

Hi,

When choosing a VPN, it is extremely important to know the country where the VPN provider is based. If it is based in a privacy-friendly country that allows VPNs to not store any log data, then it can be trusted. Otherwise, even if it claims to not store any logs, your VPN may not be as private as you think. In addition, you should always read the privacy policy of any VPN before trusting it at 100%.

If you choose to go with a premium VPN, it is recommended to compare it with other providers so that you can find one that meets the most with your requirements. It will not be advantageous to pay for features that you don't really need. Be careful also, as sometimes reviews are sponsored on the internet.

ProtonVPN is based in Switzerland - which is a good point - and has a strict no-logs policy that has been confirmed by external security audits, and even if you go with the free version, it is still safe to use it. Unlike other free VPNs that can collect and share your data or target you with ads.

ProtonVPN provides an unlimited bandwidth, can bypass geo-restricted content and uses a strong security encryption and protocols. But the downside is that it has only a few servers available in the free version and they can be overloaded from time to time, so your connection may be slowed down. To fix this, you will have to manually switch server.

If you want to enjoy the full features of ProtonVPN (high connection speed, access to more servers, etc.) you need to upgrade to premium. But if you just need to secure your connection occasionally, because sometimes you use public hotspots for example, then the free version will do the job. It is available for unlimited use, and you won't be forced to buy the full version.

Another point to mention is that if you own an account on ProtonVPN, you can have access to ProtonMail with the same credentials, and vice-versa. However, if you choose to delete your account, your email and username can't be reused.

Hope this helps.

69Rixter Posts 48 Registration date Wednesday March 25, 2015 Status Member Last seen November 25, 2022 3
Oct 24, 2022 at 06:10 PM

RE: HelpiOS

Thank you for your response. I want to say how refreshing it was to receive a straight-forward, no B.S answer. Far too often, cyber warriors use these sites to spew their ignorance and hatred, and/or to cyber-bully. This is just the type of infor- mation I was seeking. Seems I got it right by considering PROTON. And I didn't know about the e-mail acct. that came with it, but that would be a plus and superior to Gmail. KUDOs, my friend!!

HelpiOS Posts 14315 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 26, 2024 1,891
Oct 24, 2022 at 06:19 PM

Glad to have helped!

Don't hesitate to come back for any other question.