Pc wont recognise my dvd rom

Closed
backtofront - Jun 28, 2008 at 06:23 PM
 reaper-51 - Feb 25, 2010 at 02:49 PM
Hello,
I RE-FORMATTED MY HARD DRIVE ON MY PC, RUNNING ON WINDOWS XP,ON A GIGA BYTE GA-7N400E MOTHERBOARD AND AMD ATHALON PROCESSOR. LIKE AN IDIOT I GAVE MY HARD DRIVE PARTITIONS AND CD/ROM AND DVD /ROM DRIVES NEW ASSIGNATION LETTERS , MY CD DRIVE WAS DRIVE (G) AND I ALTERED IT TO DRIVE (E) IN DISC MANAGEMENT IN ,COMPUTER MANAGER IN ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS, AND ALTERED MY DVD DRIVE FROM DRIVE (F) TO DRIVE (D). NOW MY COMPUTER WON'T RECOGNISE MY DVD ROM DRIVE, I'VE TRIED RE-INSTALLING WINDOWS XP AND SERVICE PACK 2 AND THIS DOES NOTHING, I'VE SEARCHED HIGH AND LOW FOR A DRIVER FOR MY DVD DRIVE, WHICH IS A MATSUSHITA(PANASONIC) SR-8588-C , I CAN'T FIND ONE ANYWHERE. I'VE TRIED NEW CABLES, ALTERING THE SLAVE AND MASTER BRIDGE AROUND ON THE DISC DRIVES. BUT NOTHING SEEMS TO WORK. ANOTHER THING IT DOES WHEN I'VE ONLY GOT THE CD/ROM CONNECTED IT SHOWS UP ON MY PC BUT WHEN I ATTACH THE DVD/ROM NOT ONLY IS THE DVD/ROM NOT RECOGNISED BUT IT KNOCKS OFF THE CD/ROM AS WELL SO I END UP WITHOUT A REMOVABLE STORAGE DEVICE APART FROM MY FLOPPY DRIVE,
I'M STUMPED , CAN SOME-ONE PLEASE HELP ME , BACKTOFRONT
Related:

6 responses

look at the jumpers of the cd rom and the dvd rom one should be master and the other one slave
i just burned a disk and now no games will run in my comp does anyone know how to fix it?
hello,
i re-formated my laptop toshiba a105-s2061.
now my cd-rom is working but dvd-rom is not working.i havenot installed anything to run dvd-rom.i donot know about decoder also.so plz advice me.kindly reply me immediately
you did not say how u installed the os. was it the restore disk that come with toshiba laptops or from another disk. if u did not use the restore disk that may be a small problem. toshiba stoped xp driver support 4 months after I got it. they did offer a dvd driver also. any more ? feel free to contact me.
i've already tried that, i think i may have solved it, but not sure yet, i need to find a driver for the ( scm pport scsi adapter ) and i think that may solve it , i hope
if your computer is recognising the dvd rom in control panel, system, hardware, hardware manager, then check to see if the device is enabled. if it is but just won't play dvd's then you need to download a codec pack, something like (k-lite mega codec pack, or windows full codecs, or xvid codecs, there's quite a few on the web. if your computer isn't recognising the dvd rom , try the add hardware wizard in control panel. if you're still having trouble and know the make and model of your dvd rom it might be worth looking up the manufacturers web site and downloading the proper drivers for the hardware

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
hello angel!!!!!!shall i download inter wideo win dvd codec??previously this was present and my pc was playing dvds.
so plz tell me to do further actions
back to front
Jul 8, 2008 at 05:33 PM
hi, if you go to a web site called "free-codecs.com" and enter it. on the left hand side of the page under a header called featured, go down the column to codec packs, click on the "xp codec pack" that is if you're running your pc on windows xp. and download it then click on "k-lite codec pack" and download it, then click on "codec pack all in one" and download this too. you should now have all the codecs you'll ever need. you will also need a program to play your dvd's , like power dvd or nero. once you've got the codecs, windows media player should play your dvd's. i hope this works for you, back to front.