Wireless USB adapter problems

Closed
Vid - Jul 22, 2009 at 09:22 AM
mikethedike Posts 158 Registration date Saturday August 16, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 22, 2012 - Oct 26, 2010 at 08:51 AM
Hello, I'm having trouble getting my Netgear WG111v2 to hold the signal from my Netgear Router WGR614. I'm told that the adapter is a good one but yet I can only get it to work for minutes at a time. If you speak to the supplier then they say it's because my router and pc are too far appart but then why is it that my Ipod and Nintendo Wii pick up the signal from the router no problem? This is really frustrating. Any suggestions?
Related:

3 responses

Blocked Profile
Jul 22, 2009 at 10:07 AM
Dear Sir,

Most wireless adapter are weak,

I will advise you to place your laptop or pc near the wireless router when you want to use the internet

Thanks
Bull. If I wanted to be near the router all the time I'd run a cable!
Why can't they make a wireless adapter that works as well as those built into netbokks/portables and ipods????
mikethedike Posts 158 Registration date Saturday August 16, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 22, 2012 41
Oct 26, 2010 at 08:51 AM
hi
boosting ur wireless signal of the router is another option below is detailed description of the various methods to do, use the one applicable for you

hi

wireless net connection is nothing but radio ways, the simplest method we use to increase the strenght of the radio frequency is to shorten the distance of the frequency is to add in a nR of extra atenna or something we commonly know as boosters.. the world has gone far ahead theres more than one way you can boost ur wireless frequency

Access Points
Wireless access points use multiple radio signal transmitters and receivers to give your network's signal a boost. They use MIMO, or multiple in and multiple out, technology along with reflection and amplification of radio waves to cover a much larger area than a standard router. Access points require a power supply and Ethernet connection.

Internal Boosters and Add-on Antennas
Internal boosters use the same MIMO technology as access points to boost reception. Router antennas can be screwed off and replaced with high gain antennas to boost the router's frequency range and reception. Antennas may be manipulated to open up the most unobstructed path--it works by line of sight--between the router and the computer's wireless card.

Powerline Models
Power-line signal extenders sends data between your computers and modem through your existing house electrical lines. Power-line models pass data between two extenders--one near the modem and one in a remote location. Power-line models use Ethernet, USB and Wi-Fi to communicate with your network's existing components, and electrical pulses to communicate between extenders. Data transferred over electrical lines travels faster than data sent via Wi-Fi. However, these devices are susceptible to interference from other devices plugged into the circuit.

Relays/Repeaters
Relays, or repeaters, receive radio waves from your router and "relay" them to give the signals an expanded range. The units contain an internal amplifier that simply receives the signal, strengthens it and passes it along. The practicality of these devices saves on wiring or additional modems.

Awaiting any Comments

Melisio Mascarenhas
mikethedike
mumbai India
Thanks, but as I mentioned initially I have a Nintendo Wii and an ipod which can access the internet wirelessly using the same router. I am trying to find out why my netgear USB adapter keeps dropping the signal to my desktop pc? - its in the same room as the wii and ipod!
Im having the same issues with my Belkin USB wireless adapter. It worked great when I first got it about 3 weeks ago but now it keeps dropping the signal from the Netgear router.