My monitor keeps going black

Solved/Closed
dm86 - Sep 21, 2009 at 02:16 PM
 Denise - Nov 27, 2010 at 12:07 PM
Hello,

Over the past couple of weeks my desktop computers monitor keeps goin black while in use. It first happened while my girlfriend was playing Zoo Tycoon but most recently while she was surfing the net.

I am still able to access the screen configuration via the monitors buttons ie. (brightness, contrast) etc. So I don't believe it is anything to do with the actual monitor (bulbs etc). There does not appear to be any picture feeding through from the CPU. The only way I am able to rectify the problem is by restarting the whole computer by holding in the power button. The computer then tends to be fine for a few hours of use, which would lead me to believe that there is no problems with the wires linking the CPU ot the monitor etc.... I would like to find a solution to this problem before it becomes more frequent.

Just to add further, I have taken the side casing off of the CPU and checked that the internal fan of the CPU is not blocked or being obstructed by wires.

So please, if anybody can suggest what I can do in order to rectify this it would greatly appreciated.

The system I am running on is :-

CPU - Packard Bell iMedia 1317 (Purchased around about 3-5 years ago).

Monitor - (No brand I can see) but the following is on the label on the back.
Product No. - MA-782KC
Serial No. - FIBC570057407
Related:

6 responses

Blocked Profile
Sep 22, 2009 at 08:02 AM
hello sir,

you just have to check if any wires is close to the fan this can cause severe damage to your system!!

All you will have to do is to remove the Ram memory and then plug again!

Thanks
the monitor is more than likely not the problem, it is far more likely to be the drivers for the video card working the monitor, some drivers put out by certain compnies will in fact take data sent to them that is not fully filled in and use the zeros it assumes in the non filled in parts to perform division with causeing divid by zero errors etc, you may find that the games your playing may have dump logs you can read to find out just what kind of a problem is occuring, or if you go into your OS control panel, you may find performance logs that could alert you to the problem. note the time of the occurance if you can and it may aid you in solving the issue.
hey man I have the same problem it happens to me all the time when I play video games.
I honestly wish I could help but I can't figure it out.
Have you tried turning it on and off or making sure the cable to the monitor is plugged in well enough?
Dremorain Posts 22 Registration date Friday November 26, 2010 Status Member Last seen December 17, 2010 2
Nov 26, 2010 at 09:29 PM
You can't tell what brand it is? That's never a good sign. Anyway, I'm with Grummbunger on this one, minus the division of zeros. Update your drivers. Just Google your Graphics card information and add 'Driver update' to the end of it. If you need more help, just post here. ^^

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
I had the same problem, my Monitor blacking out for no reason and out of the blue. I called Dell support, paid $59.00 (UGH) and this is what they said. With all the Microsoft updates that occur, sometimes the updates are not compatible with our computers and the drivers get corrupted. (Drivers to monitor and to our printers) Nothing major, she just deleted my drivers and they reinstalled themselves when my computer booted up. Sounds simple and here is what she did:
1) My computer, right click on it.
2) Go to "Manage"
3) Go to Device Manage
4) Display Adapters, uninstall both by right clicking and then uninstall
5) Reinstall your computer. The drivers will update automatically.
Forgot to mention that I also had to do the same with my printer driver....