MAJOR Computer virus. XP disk not working....

Closed
Jarvinator - Sep 29, 2009 at 03:50 PM
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 - Oct 1, 2009 at 05:03 PM
Hello,
About a year or so ago, my desktop computer (Windows XP) got infected with tons of viruses out of nowhere (Well actually my virus program stopped updating (I had McAfee which is bad in the first place)). The computer then got to the point where it takes the computer four hours to start, and that I can't log on my account, or any account for that matter. I told my friend about my problem and he gave me the installer for AVG free. No luck. I then bought a windows xp disk and and then when I started it up, the disk drive REFUSED to open. And this is when I came to you. Is there a virus scan that can scan external system volumes when plugged via Ethernet? If there isn't, what do I do either to get my cd drive to open or, to get me to log on my account (and remember a boot disk won't work, and I also have to get on an account to run a virus scan).
Related:

1 response

sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
Oct 1, 2009 at 05:03 PM
I would whip your HDD out, Slave it to another computer that has iron clad antivirus and format that puppy.

put the hdd back into your computer and start the install from there.