Your admin password is an extremely powerful tool that gives you access to various elements of your computer. However, if you've lost this password, you can still connect to your laptop.
How to create a password reset disk?
Creating a password reset disk will help you to avoid losing files if you forget your password. Here is how to do so:
- Log in to Windows account you want to create a password reset disk for.
- Get a USB drive/SD card and insert it into the computer.
- Once this is done, you will have to type Password Reset in the search box.
- Select Create a password reset disk. Select Next.
- Next, choose the location where you want to create the password key disk at. Confirm by clicking Next.
- Enter the account password. Select Next.
- Click Next, then Finish.
You can then access your account by booting it to your PC. Note that you can also use a third-party app.
How to reset a Lenovo password without a disk?
If you don't have a password reset disk, you can still unlock your computer. For locked Microsoft accounts, the best thing to do is to connect to Microsoft's dedicated page from another browser. You will have to fill in the information associated with your account (email, phone number) to verify your identity, and then, you will have the possibility to choose a new password.
How to reset a Lenovo password on Windows 10?
If your computer is under Windows 10, you can use the two methods described above. If they don't work, you can try the following options:
- Super Administrator Account (SAA): if you have set up an SAA before forgetting your password, then we have some good news for you. Sign up using your SSA, then right-click on My Computer. Select Manage > Users and Local Groups > your username. Next, select Set Password and enter a new password. Reset your computer.
- Command Prompt: reboot your PC and press F8 multiple times. This will allow you to enter the Advanced Boot Options. From there, select Safe Mode with Command Prompt - this is possible by using your keyboard's arrows and pressing Enter. Next, select the built-in Administrator to get into the safe mode. Enter this command: net user [username] [new password] where you replace [username] with your username and [new password] with the new password of your choice. For example, if the username is Vana and the new password is GorillazZX47, then type net user Vana GorillazZX47. Press enter. You can now log out and then log in with the appropriate account.
How to reset a Lenovo password on Windows 7?
If you forgot your password and your computer is under Windows 7, then you can try all of the solutions described above.
How to reset a Lenovo password on Windows 8?
Just like for Windows 7, we recommend trying all of the solutions described at the beginning of the article.
How to recover lost Lenovo laptop password on Windows XP?
There is a built-in administrator account with a null password under XP that can be accessed via Safe Mode.
- Power on your Lenovo laptop, and press F8. Choose Safe Mode, and press the Enter key in the Advanced Boot Options window.
- On the login window, select the Administrator account and leave the Password field blank. Click Start > Control Panel > User Accounts > Pick the account needed to reset password > Change the password.
- Input a new password, and confirm it to complete Lenovo XP password reset.
How to reset a Lenovo password on a tablet?
If you forgot your Lenovo tablet's password, you can do the following:
- Contact Lenovo so they unlock the tablet for you.
- Factory reset your tablet (for Android OS). Turn off your tablet > press Volume UP + Power. Select wipe data/factory reset thanks to the volume button and then confirm with the power button. Note that you may lose all your data.
- Reset your Microsoft account. This option is only available for Lenovo tablets under Window 8/8.1/10.