Wifes Asus TravelMate 5510 Boot Problem(s)

Closed
etprogrammer Posts 3 Registration date Sunday December 13, 2009 Status Member Last seen December 16, 2009 - Dec 14, 2009 at 06:51 AM
 -arjen- - Feb 21, 2010 at 09:07 AM
Hello,

She's had the laptop for about 2 year's, as far as I know. Lately since the girl's have been using it it has been dropped by the looks of it, but it still worked fine afterwards. The Symptom's are, On boot-up, the screen stays black. The HDD light stays lit (when normally it flickers on boot-up), so I checked the HDD by connecting it to another computer, No problem's, Boot-up on the other computer was fine. It booted up into windows with no error's or bug report's. I've gone all threw the motherboard checking for crack's scratches or nick's to see if that could be the case, but found nothing. I was thinking that maybe it could be a short in the wire connected from the motherboard to the laptop's screen, but if it was that wouldn't cause the HDD light to stay on. I've checked the wiring to the screen and found nothing. I've checked the processor. No sign of burns or harsh ware on the processor, no sign of broken pin's or any other that I have seen. Checked the graphics card "integrated chip", nothing looks bad just a little dust, but everything got cleaned. As far as I know, a faulty HDD would cause the HDD LED to stay on when it should flicker to show processing of the data, but couldn't find any result's. I've gone threw just about everything that I could think of, including checking the RAM chip's, but they are the originals that were placed from the manufacturer. So my head's full on this one, lol.

Any thought's on this issue would be much appreciated, Thank you
Related:

3 responses

hej, I think I have the same problem, there is nothing on the screen, an external screen does not help,
also it sounds like nothing happens, so also no bios... so there most be something wrong with the motherboard, or the processor, did you have any luck with replacing the cpu ?
also doesn't the bios screen suppose to show without cpu ?
etprogrammer Posts 3 Registration date Sunday December 13, 2009 Status Member Last seen December 16, 2009
Dec 15, 2009 at 12:57 PM
I haven't gotten to trying an external LCD or checking much of anything else, I lost the page on a firefox update and wasn't thinking to remember the site on mind.

Thank you for your reply, but just to second guess the issue, is it possible once a hard drive is going bad, for it to cause a short circiut of any kind, one like making the motherboard not process any data from the CMOS "/bios", or in other word's booting?
etprogrammer Posts 3 Registration date Sunday December 13, 2009 Status Member Last seen December 16, 2009
Dec 16, 2009 at 04:25 AM
sorry, let me rephrase the question. I was talking about the HDD but it wasn't the right light I was looking at. The processor light stays lit and doesn't blink or flicker. It was to the point to where I could turn the laptop on every 4 - 10 times now it won't start at all. So I think I understand what the problem was. The processor was overheating due to the laptop model's pour design, not to mention the laptop being dropped which might have caused it as well. I'm headed to the computer store later to grab a new processor, hopefully that will work. Thank you for your help imrankhaan, cheers m8