Can not renstall Windows XP

Closed
ulrich - Apr 30, 2010 at 07:41 AM
 Win7Worried - May 3, 2010 at 10:48 PM
Hi;

when I opened my computer today I got an error blue screen I couldnot read what aws written there because the computer kept restarting before ? could read the error message. So I decided it would be best to reinstall Windows XP.

I hit the f8 key and entered the windows set up screen. I reached the set up page which said welcome to Windows Set Up. On the page I reached it said to set up Windows XP now press enter, to repair the windows hit r and to exit from the set up press f3. I hit the enter key. After that it said please wait at the bottom of the screen and after a while I got an error page which said:

problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage
to your computer.

If this is the first time you are seeing this message, then restart your
computer. Otherwise disable any anti-virus, defragmentation, or backup
utilities. Check Hard drive configuration, and check for updated drivers. run
CHKDSK /F to check for hdd corruption, then restart.

Technical Info
***STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xF7902814, 0xF7902510, 0xF70801FC)
*** ntfs.sys - adress F70801FC base at F7073000, DataStamp 41107eea

After ? got the message set up stopped. I tried again to set up Windows but ? got the same message.
Related:

2 responses

anyone?
WARNING!!! These instruction WILL reformat your HD and ALL data on the HD will be errased.
READER BE WARE

I have never seen the Repair feature ever fix a repair, not to say it hasn't, I just have never seem it work. There are some options to save some of your data, if you or someone you know is technically inclined, and if you ave access to another PC, perferably a desktop. You can remove the damaged HD and install it as a slave (2nd) HD in the other PC. Use the file security advance feature (right-click drive, click properties, click, security, advance button, click change permissions, highlight everyone, click edit, for Full Control check Allow, click OK a half of dozen times) so that the permissions on the damaged drive will be reset so that all files will be assessible. copy all the files you want to save. replace the damaged drive in the original pc, or if you do not care about backing up filse from the damaged HD, then you can proceede.
Reboot the PC with the recovery disk, press Enter to install XP. delete the partition (type D then L) . Create a new partition (type C then Enter). Press Enter to install XP on selected partition. Format the HD with Quick Format for NTFS. Follow the rest of the setup questions.
I wrote this from memory, actually I preformed this operation about 6 times this morning on work computers. Hope this helps.