Acer Laptop freezes

Closed
ndsouza - May 31, 2010 at 12:05 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - May 31, 2010 at 08:10 AM
Hello,

I have an Acer Laptop running Win XP Professional. I recently had a laptop running painfully slow problem which was attributed to Norton Internet Security so I got it uninstalled. However this did not resolve the problem but now everytime I get into the login screen, it takes several attempts before I can type even 1 character of the password and I can never get it to run windows.

I went into safe mode and removed all instances of NIS keys and values in the registry but not the legacy entries which it does not allow to remove.

What could be the solution to this peculiar problem? Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

Norbert
Related:

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
May 31, 2010 at 08:10 AM
Hello,

First, it is impossible to remove Legacy keys, they are like a tattoo and it is with your system forever unless you completely reformat. However, they will have no effect on your system's performance

To increase your speed,

1. please download, install and run this free registry cleaner:

https://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm

2. Defragment your hard disk

3. Reboot and tell me about the improvement.

Regards