External USB drive not shown

Closed
Tony - Oct 6, 2010 at 11:46 PM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Oct 7, 2010 at 04:28 PM
Hi everybody i got a 320gb Sata hdd that i want to use for a external drive through a usb port on my laptop the drive shows in the drive management but does not show with the other drives in my computer could anybody help me as what to do to fix the problem thanks
Related:

2 responses

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Oct 7, 2010 at 01:31 AM
Hello,

Try this 1.

Click on Start --> Run ---> type diskmgmt.msc and click on OK.

Right-click on your External Drive --> Select "Change Drive Letter and Paths..."

---> Click on "Add" button ---> Select your drive letter and click on OK.

Note : If the drive letter is already assigned, then try changing the drive letter

by clicking on "Change" button instead of "Add" button in the above step.

If the problem still exists then

Click on Start --> Run --> type regedt32 and click on OK.

Registry Editor will be opened.

First backup your registry by going to File --> Export.

At the left side navigate to this location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-

E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

If you see any upperfilter or lowerfilters at the right side delete it.

Good Luck.
Hi thanks for the response but cannot get it to work the 1st one is that that the drive shows unallocated and that in the properties it does not show the drive path option. The 2nd where the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE is on the right it shows
ab (default) REG_SZ (value not set) and that does not want to delete is there another option i can try.
Thank you lots
Regards
Tony
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Oct 7, 2010 at 04:28 PM
Hello,

Since its showing you as unallocated, may be the partition got damaged or corrupted.
Try to recover your lost partition using this application "MiniTool Power Data Recovery"
Click on the below link and download the file.
https://download.cnet.com/MiniTool-Power-Data-Recovery-Free-Edition/3000-2248_4-10561431.html?part=dl-6285158&subj=dl&tag=button
Install it --> Check the check box " I am a home user, please launch Power Data Recovery Free Edition" --->Select the option "Lost Partition Recovery" --> Select your drive, It will try to recover your lost partition.

Good Luck.
Blocked Profile
Oct 7, 2010 at 03:48 PM
Hey there! Please make sure that its drive has been installed or if it needs to be updated.