Automatic Updates

Solved/Closed
joeygemma - Dec 23, 2008 at 04:15 PM
 moomintroll - Jun 27, 2011 at 08:26 PM
Hello,

I'm running Windows XP Pro and the Security Center is telling me that my windows updates are turned off. I click on it and try to change it back, but it says, "We're sorry. The Security Center could not change your Automatic Updates settings. To try changing these settings yourself, go to System in Control Panel. On the Automatic Updates tab, select Automatic (recommended), and then click OK."

I've run Hijack This! and it came back clean, I've run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and it came back clean, I've also run avast! Antivirus, which came back with two infected files. I deleted them and then scanned again. The second scan was clean, but I still have the Windows Update problem.

Also, I've checked in "services.msc" for Automatic Updates, but it is not there. I assume that's a necessary thing. If anyone can let me know how to get it back there, I'd appreciate it.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks!

1 response

Actually, I fixed it. I did a little more googling and found out how to restart the service and that fixed it. If anyone else is having this issue or a similar one, check out https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/sbs/windows/fix-windows-update-errors-18b693b5-7818-5825-8a7e-2a4a37d6d787?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US .
this fixed it perfectly for me! thanks!