My CD/DVD drive wont work

Closed
WorryWart - Dec 25, 2010 at 07:53 PM
 Anonymous User - Dec 26, 2010 at 07:43 AM
Hey, I'm trying to burn a CD for a friend and when I insert the CD-R into the drive, it makes a whirring sound as if it was loading and then suddenly stops and I cant do anything with it.
But i've also noticed that it does the same with normal music CDs that aren't even damaged.
So I went on the Troubleshooter (for Windows 7) and tried to diagnose the problem in the
Hardware and sounds section but when I tried to it just told me that the disc is not recognized by the drive and it may be damaged or inserted wrong. Well the thing is it isn't inserted wrong or damaged at all and I have no idea why it wont let me do anything.
I would normally do what I usually do and just put it off or forget about it but this disc I have to burn is actually really urgent so any help would be really appreciated.
Thanks.

Related:

1 response

Anonymous User
Dec 26, 2010 at 07:43 AM
Greatings,

Step 1: If you have installed any CD-burning software, please temporarily remove them from "Control Panel"-> "Programs and Features".

Step 2: Modify the Registry:
===================
1. Click "Start" Pearl, type in "regedit" (without quotation marks) in Search box and press Enter.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Highlight this key, on the right pane, and then check if the "Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters" values are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

Step 3: Remove the CDROM driver:
=======================
1. Click "Start" Pearl, type in "devmgmt.msc" in Search box and press "Enter".
2. Expand "DVD/CDROM Drives".
3. Right click your CDROM Drive, and click "Uninstall".

Then, please restart your computer. Does the CDROM work properly now?

Related Information
===========
For more information, please refer to the following article from Microsoft Knowledge Base:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us

Regards!