Word doc and usb problem

Closed
tash - Mar 17, 2011 at 06:44 PM
shootingfish Posts 14 Registration date Sunday February 6, 2011 Status Member Last seen September 1, 2011 - Mar 21, 2011 at 09:48 AM
Hello,

I cant open any files from my USB. When i try to open any files frm my usb it says " There was an error opening the file".

Why is it saying this?

Thanks
tasha

Related:

1 response

shootingfish Posts 14 Registration date Sunday February 6, 2011 Status Member Last seen September 1, 2011 1
Mar 21, 2011 at 09:48 AM
I have had this problem a couple of times, here are some possible reasons:

- Corrupted data, this is the most likely reason for getting the message. Hopefully you have the information stored somewhere else as well as the USB stick. Reformat the stick using its "properties" menu and put the information on it again. Thats the best i can suggest for this data corruption

- The pathname has become invalid, it's unlikely to be this as you would more likely get an "invalid pathname" message instead. However, try renaming the file on your USB stick to be a filename.doc and it might just turn back into a document that MS Word can read.

- The file on your memory stick is actually a shortcut not the document, ok so maybe i'm the only person in the world who would click and drag a shortcut from my computer into the USB stick window. If you've done this you can usually tell because the icon of the document has a little upturned arrow in the bottom corner or the extention of the file turns from .doc into .ico or the description will tell you it's a shortcut. The solution here is simple, move the actual file over to the memory stick instead of the shortcut.

It's more than likely corrupted data, in which case i really hope you haven't lost it and it's backed up somewhere else, common causes for corruption are:

- Pulling the memory stick out of the USB port while it is being accessed
- Turning off the power to the unit that the USB stick is connected to while it is being accessed
- Strong magnetic fields, things such as large music speakers and subwoofers will corrupt information stored on most electrical things
- Old lady time, sadly nothing lasts forever and the millions of 1's and 0's that make up the base code of digital information can be eaten away at given time. Try to keep multiple copies if you plan on archiving information for a long time, especially in something that is not constantly drawing an electrical current (like a USB stick buried in the bottom of a laptop bag would).

Wordy? Yes, i hope it helps though :)