Changing from a 8600gt to a Radeon 5770 HD

Closed
Hisroth - Mar 29, 2011 at 05:14 AM
 Blocked Profile - Mar 30, 2011 at 03:58 AM
Okay, this is probably not suprising to people, but I've broken my computer again.

I was trying to upgrade from the 8600gt to the Radeon 5770.

Both are PCIe cards, etc...

I've uninstalled all Nvidia drivers, removed 8600gt. Rebooted with onboard video, worked fine.

Installed 5770, booted fine, installed drivers, restarted...

Then it just kind of started clicking, never made it past POST beep or anything, just kidn of kept restarting in limbo about 5 times in 12-15 seconds, then it just ended up booting to the onboard video again.

I go to device manager, nothing but onboard video located.

I go to BIOS, set it to look for PCIe card as first priority, restart, it does the 5 quick restarts in 12-15 seconds before going back to onboard video again.

I tried disabling onboard video from device manager, did a scan for new hardware, didn't find 5770.

Fan is running on it, power is all plugged in like it should be, etc....

I can think of two possible things, the powersupply, but it's 650 watts, which should be enough. Or som setting is wrong still but I'm out of ideas.

Related:

7 responses

Blocked Profile
Mar 29, 2011 at 09:32 AM
Put your other PCIe card back in and see if it boots.

if this works you've clearly damaged or have a defective product.

get a replacement if so.
I checked again, and there are no additional power plugs.

I pulled it out and put in my old 8600gt and the computer starts up fine, but neither the onboard or the geforce displace work when I have it installed, possibly because I uninstalled all the drivers, I'm not sure.

But it does boot fine when I have the old card in it again.
I can get it to POST now, but only when I don't have the 4 to 6 pin adapter plugged in.

And with this, based on the more I read, I'm thinking it won't post because my powersupply can't handle it?

I was about 90% sure I had a 650watt till now.... so maybe I have a 500watt or something like that?

When I don't plug in the power adaper, the fan on the card runs at a billion miles per hour, and everything seems to be working well except for the actual identification of the card, etc... but that could be because I don't have the 6 pin plugged in.

So now I'm thinking new powersupply?
Blocked Profile
Mar 29, 2011 at 05:12 PM
On the box of the graphics card whats the minimum spec say?

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
PCIe one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCIe power connectors recommended (I don't have a 6 pin, but it did come with a 4 to 6 pin adapter.

Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://support.amd.com/us/certified/power-supplies/Pages/listing.aspx for a list of Certified products

1 GB ram, (I have 2)

And the rest I'm way over.
I've talked to a friend today who actually made almost the same identical switch and says he had the exact same problem. He thinks it's because the card is 2.0 but supposed to be backwards compatible, but that doesn't work, said he changed MB's and now it works fine.
Blocked Profile
Mar 30, 2011 at 03:58 AM
have you tried using the onboard graphics with the new card in and then install the drivers from the website?