Wireless router bridge/relay setup

Closed
dfrankfurter Posts 4 Registration date Sunday January 18, 2009 Status Member Last seen March 8, 2009 - Jan 18, 2009 at 11:00 PM
dfrankfurter Posts 4 Registration date Sunday January 18, 2009 Status Member Last seen March 8, 2009 - Mar 8, 2009 at 11:58 AM
Hello,
I have an Edimax BR6114Wg router, which I updated with the latest firmware (2.12). I want to set it up as a relay/bridge (ie so that it is an extention of my network & does not become a seperate network).
Can someone tell me which settings are required?
Thanks
David
Related:

2 responses

locklessmonster Posts 19 Registration date Monday December 29, 2008 Status Member Last seen June 18, 2009 10
Jan 19, 2009 at 03:08 AM
There are various ways to extend your network and to optimize network performance.For more information click on the link below, you should find explicit informations and son diagrams helping you to achieve your goals:http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesstips.mspx
dfrankfurter Posts 4 Registration date Sunday January 18, 2009 Status Member Last seen March 8, 2009
Jan 19, 2009 at 03:25 AM
Thank you. This is interesting, but not what I am looking for. Let me explain a bit better. I have two floors in my building. I have a wireless router on each floor - connected by a cable. Everything works fine, except that the second wireless (Edimax BR6114Wg) creates a second network, meaning that I can't access computers or printers from one network to the other - even though they are physically connected. I was told that I need to define the Edimax as a bridge or relay (effectively a repeater?). I just can't work out how to do that.
David
steph > dfrankfurter Posts 4 Registration date Sunday January 18, 2009 Status Member Last seen March 8, 2009
Mar 3, 2009 at 07:40 AM
You don't need a bridge in your situation. all you need to do is :

1- connect the hard wire rj45 cable ( internet cable ) to any of the ports in the back of your router. ( don't use the wan port )

2- to be able to set up your wireless router you must set your network with static ip ( it's easier that way )
set your main computer i.e 192.168.1.4

3- Enter the setting of your wireless router, and configure it as an access point,don't use dhcp, use a static ip in the same subnet mask, ie 192.168.1.9 and use the dns of your main modem or router ( the one directly connected to your modem)
you can use the ipconfig /all command in the dos prompt command line it will give you the settings of the computer network.

and you should be able to connect to your network and you should see all the shared resources a well.

Good luck
dfrankfurter Posts 4 Registration date Sunday January 18, 2009 Status Member Last seen March 8, 2009
Mar 8, 2009 at 11:58 AM
Thanks! Took me a little while to work out what to do, but that seems to have worked.
I appreciate the help.