Windows 7 stuck in S3 state

Closed
leftymb Posts 2 Registration date Monday January 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen January 23, 2012 - Jan 23, 2012 at 02:31 PM
 Blocked Profile - Jan 24, 2012 at 11:15 PM
I'm hoping somebody can either provide me with a key sequence or a technique to "unstick" my Toshiba netbook. It's been fine for a whole year. Last night, I shut the lid, and this morning, I'm in some weird half-way sleep state and I can't exit it to get a clean boot. After the Toshiba BIOS screen flashes, up comes a plain black screen with a flashing white cursor in the upper left corner. That's all I've ever been able to reach, other than the BIOS utility.

The power button works, and the LED indicator glows steady. The HDD LED indicator glows, and it looks like the disk is trying to do something (lots of hits). It never really turns off. The keyboard responds to Ctl-Alt-Del, but it doesn't change the state. F2 takes me into the BIOS, but there's nothing odd about the settings. Netbooks don't have optical drives, so I can't change the boot order. The netbook has no history of overheating.

Here's what I tried:

- remove power sources and hold down power button for 10-60 seconds to discharge. Reinsert power sources and press power button. No change.
- remove power sources, hold down power button, put netbook in plastic storage then freeze for 15 minutes. Remove from freezer and bag, reinsert power sources and press power button. No change.
- remove power sources, unseat/reseat memory module. Reinsert power sources and press power button. No change.
- press power button on after inserting a mouse. No change.
- press power button on after inserting a bootable USB drive. No change.

I'm fixing to remove the hard drive and mount it in a USB enclosure, then see if I can't access it from another system.

What I really want to do, though, is be able to seriously turn off the machine, so that it will discard any saved state and let me boot clean. I am running out of options.

Any ideas?

Related:

1 response

Blocked Profile
Jan 24, 2012 at 11:15 PM
Greetings,

Please, bare in mind that Kioskea is a mutual aid community, all answers on the forum are provided by volunteers who give their time free to help solve issues.

Therefore, it is specifically requested from Kioskea forum users correspond showing mutual respect. Therefore, when requesting assistance, the use of polite expressions,as for elsewhere in similar circumstances, is appreciated. (please, thank you, appreciate, grateful, etc.)

https://ccm.net/apps-sites/internet-archeology/ccm/10131-terms-of-use-for-ccm-respect-for-others/#politesse

Please, copy, modify and repost your message respecting the politeness charter.

We trust that you understand.