Windows could not automatically detect...

Closed
Nelliel - Apr 15, 2012 at 11:02 PM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Apr 16, 2012 at 02:56 PM
....this network's proxy settings"

Hello,

Sorry to bother everyone, and yes I'm aware there are other questions like mine, but none of them have the solutions to my individual problem, I suppose.

I have a HP laptop, running Windows 7 and is about 2 years old now.. It refuses to connect to the internet. This problem just started today. All the other electronics in the house connect fine.

To be honest, I don't know why it's even looking for a proxy.. Internet Explorer settings doesn't have the proxy server setting connected. I already reset Internet Explorer settings to default.

I have also tried..
"At Command Prompt, type in:
netsh int ip reset reset.log
Hit Enter.
Type in:
netsh winsock reset catalog
Hit Enter."

Restarted and everything.

Another thing I tried was a wired connection. I still got the same problem.

I cannot turn on the windows firewall, I receive some weird error. 0x8007042c
I have another firewall that stays on.. BitDefender is the software that I use.

Searched the computer for viruses, malware, etc.. Yeah, it found some stuff, and I deleted everything and cleared the computer of those. This is my mom's laptop, and she needs to connect to the internet to do work so any help is really appreciated. I'm looking to give up as I have no idea what else to do, and it doesn't look like anyone has been able to solve this problem.

I don't live in America, or any country where I can go to a Geekarmy..or.. anything, for that matter.

Thanks again in advance...
Related:

2 responses

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Apr 16, 2012 at 12:28 AM
Hello,

Try this 1

1) Open "Internet Explorer" --> Click on "Tools" ---> Internet Options --> Click on

the "Connections" tab --> Click on "LAN Settings" button --> Make sure

everything is unchecked (Remove the tick marks if found) --> Click on OK -->

Close the "Internet Explorer".

2) If the problem still exists then temporary disable your antivirus and check if you

are able to connect to the internet.

Regarding Firewall :

Click on Start --> In search box, type cmd and press Enter.

"Command Prompt' will be opened. Now enter the below command

sfc /scannow ---> Press Enter.

Good Luck
Thank you very much for the quick response. I did what you requested and I am still unable to connect.

To add: I changed my ip configuration manually, and turned off the automatic configuration and now the problem that I originally had no longer appears as an error. Now when I run the troubleshooter I get "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem".
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Apr 16, 2012 at 12:56 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
First create a system restore point.
Click on the below hyperlink "Internet Repair" and download the file
Internet Repair
Right-click on it --> Select the option "Run as administrator".
Select the options "Reset Internet protocol (TCP/IP), Repair Winsock, " and click on GO.
Restart your PC.
Let me know if you are connecting to the computr through wireless or wired.
Good Luck
I am using wireless. It's a little difficult for me to use a wired connection.

Alright, I have downloaded the file and did exactly as told. Computer just finished rebooting and I still have limited access to the internet.

Troubleshooting still cannot identify the problem.
If I restore my system to the way it was when I got it, would that possibly solve all the problems I have with it?
Apr 16, 2012 at 02:56 PM
Hello,
Try this 1
Even if you restore to the factory settings and if you are not sure about your router SSID and the security key, then you may face the same problem.
If you are using a wireless then check your SSID and the security key. The SSID and the security key should match with your router. Let me know your router brand name and model number.
Good Luck