Harddrive unrecognised in PC but working in MAC

Closed
Ratandeep - Feb 16, 2015 at 03:26 PM
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   - Feb 19, 2015 at 10:35 AM
Hello,

My Hard Drive (Western Digital) is unrecognised in Windows but it is recognised in MAC. How can I fix this without loosing the data. Can not take Backup of my data on my MAC as it just have a 128GB for storage space.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks is advance.
Related:

2 responses

jollym124 Posts 98 Registration date Wednesday January 21, 2015 Status Member Last seen March 28, 2017 28
Feb 17, 2015 at 12:45 AM
Did you check disk management? check whether drive is shown there or not..
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   37
Feb 17, 2015 at 10:00 AM
Hey Ratandeep. What file system is the drive formatted with? If it's formatted with HFS+ which is a Mac OS x file system, then it can't be used with a Windows computer. If this is the case you would probably have to use some sort of cloud storage or another drive, which is formatted with the exFAT (which is fully supported by both Mac OS x and Windows) file system so that you can backup the data on it. Then reformat your drive with the exFAT file system if you want to be able to use it with both Mac and PC.

Hope this helps.
Boogieman_WD
Hey,

Thanks for writing back. It's formatted in NTFS and it always was. It was working fine but suddenly it stopped working I don't know for what reason.

Regards,
Ratandeep Arora
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   37
Feb 19, 2015 at 10:35 AM
You're welcome mate. Mac OS x can't write on NTFS file system natively. There are ways to do that, but it's not supported by the OS without additional software. But Mac OS x can read from NTFS file system which means, that you can copy files from it. It's quite unfortunate that you can't get it to work with Windows if you don't have enought space on your Mac. I'd suggest that you try accessing the drive via Linux Live CD/USB on the PC and see if it is recognized properly, so that you can get your files. If that doesn't work, you could try some of the data recovery options listed in this thread here: https://www.tomshardware.com/
again with the PC.

Good luck!