Excel Date Function dd/mm/yyyy

Closed
Lindsay - Mar 7, 2015 at 03:13 PM
cmarzahn Posts 35 Registration date Wednesday February 18, 2015 Status Member Last seen March 13, 2015 - Mar 8, 2015 at 01:19 PM
I have a column in excel as dd/mm/yyyy with my date function set as English (US) however excel is sometimes picking up some dates as mm/dd/yyyy and other times as dd/mm/yyyy. I need them to all be one way or another. How can I fix this? Please note I only have minimal Excel Skills.

Thank you very very much in advance
Related:

1 response

cmarzahn Posts 35 Registration date Wednesday February 18, 2015 Status Member Last seen March 13, 2015 7
Mar 8, 2015 at 01:19 PM
Hello Lindsay,

The date format may be changing from either of a couple directions. One is the format within Excel. The other is the default format for the PC's current operating system (XP, Vista, Window7, Windows8).

Let's start with Excel.
One way is to select the cell or cells that have the wrong format and change it back the way you want. That's easiest if you select the cell or cells and use "control-1" (hold the control key and tap 1) to access the format cells screen. If, within that window, you select the date format desired, it will update all of those cells to the that format.

The operating system default format may be "off." In that case, it would be best to know what operating system you are using. In most operating systems you can hit the start key or windows button and start typing control. It should give you a choice for "control panel." Navigate to the control panel and find something that seems to refer to change date and or time formats. That will take you to a window that lets you select the default format. You seem to be concerned with the "short date format" so you should look for that one and select the format you want. Hit "Apply" in the lower right and you should be good...

Hope that helps.