Using the last few characters on a different sheet

Solved/Closed
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Apr 3, 2015 at 01:49 AM
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Apr 3, 2015 at 06:50 PM
Hi All,

Me again - I HATE VBA! it is so simple that I get frutrated when I cant get a simple thing right.

Im trying to write a VBA script that needs to extract the last 3 characters from a cell on a different sheet in the same workbook. What I have is:

MyRequiredString = Sheets("Sheet2").Range(Right(Cells(x, 5), 3))

where x is an increasing variable which is within a for - next loop. Every time the loop happens then MyRequiredString may be different depending on where the cell (x,5) is on sheet 2. i need to use MyRequiredString in sheet 1 (which is the active sheet) [or more accurately to use these 3 characters as a condition in an "If" statement within the script for use on Sheet 1]

To put it another way, if cell (x,5) on sheet 2 is "abcdef", I want MyRequiredString to be "def"

Im sure this is a one line code, but can I work it out???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Related:

1 response

This is what you need:

MyRequiredString = Right(Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(x, 5), 3)

You need to retrieve the value from the range/cell and then take the last 3 characters from it.
You were trying to put the last 3 characters of the cell as a value for the range which is not a valid value for it.
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Apr 3, 2015 at 06:50 PM
Ray - I hope you know how much of a star you are.

That was exactly what I needed. Thank you so much.

Also I appreciate the feedback on what I was doing wrong. Its only by having it pointed out that I can understand and not attempt something so silly next time.

Thanks again.