My hard drive doesn't read. Only tells me to format before use

Closed
EmilRich Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday August 25, 2015 Status Member Last seen September 16, 2015 - Aug 25, 2015 at 05:04 AM
EmilRich Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday August 25, 2015 Status Member Last seen September 16, 2015 - Sep 16, 2015 at 07:09 AM
Hello,
My laptop got bad, so i bought a case for my internal hard drive and i was able to use it as an external hard drive. For about 2 months it worked normally but after after that, it just stopped working normally. Now when i plug it into my laptop it keeps telling me that i can only use the hard drive after i format it. When i click to open and view my files, i get a pop up saying "The drive is not accessible - The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" I can't format the drive. It contains a lot of stuff. What can i do to solve this problem. Please help.
Related:

3 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Aug 25, 2015 at 02:05 PM
The drive is broken and needs to be replaced. The data is unrecoverable outside of a Data Recovery Lab.

Sorry for the bad news
jollym124 Posts 98 Registration date Wednesday January 21, 2015 Status Member Last seen March 28, 2017 28
Aug 28, 2015 at 01:07 AM
Hello,
no software solution on your own will work, you only option is to a data recovery company retrieve the data off the hard drive, if it isn't too badly damaged.
sorry to hear this, if the data is important then seek professional advise.
EmilRich Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday August 25, 2015 Status Member Last seen September 16, 2015
Sep 16, 2015 at 07:09 AM
Hey guys thanks for the respond. They were a little disheartening but thanks anyway. I found a solution to the problem a colleague helped me out. He used the command prompt to solve the problem. He entered this command "chkdsk / f *the disk name goes here(it could be h, or g, or whatever)*"

What this does is, it checks the disk (chkdsk) and fixes (f) the broken areas.

To be clear, the command is chkdsk/ f d
This could help someone else, like it helped me. Pheeewww boy i'm i glad that i don't have to loose everything in my Hard drive