PC not booting

Closed
Javabiker - Oct 24, 2015 at 01:33 PM
 Javabiker - Oct 26, 2015 at 09:47 PM
Hello, I had to change mobo due to it not working with Win 10. In Win 7 Pro it had been fine for 4+ years. I disconnected everything, removed cpu, memory and couple of cards, then removed the board. BTW, the power cord was out!
I installed a new Win 10 compatible board, reinstalled everything, reconnected the drives, re-thermal pasted the cpu cooler and installed it. I turned on the pc. Fans all worked, but no beep. Yes, the little speaker was connected. After removing RAM, stick by stick, sequentially disconnecting drives - 2 mechanical and 1 SSD, it still would not boot. I also removed the PCIE cards for good measure. I tested the power supply and it seemed ok.
So then, I reinstalled the old board. Guess what, still no boot. Logically then, I must have damaged something when I originally removed it, or when I installed the new board.
So now I'm dead in the water and I need help.
Any suggestions are very welcome. Personally, I suspect the power supply, but have not bought a new one yet, in case it's not to blame.

Related:

2 responses

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Oct 26, 2015 at 05:02 AM
Hi Javabiker,

You have done pretty good job, troubleshooting the issue. Sadly, you are rigtht, the motherboards may have suffered some phisical damage. It is possible, but it would be extremely bad luck if it had happened on both of them. I would contact a technician in order to confirm that.
Have you checked the RAM? Try using other RAM stick, just for the testing purposes. It may be the power supply too, because the energy might not be enough to run more than just the cooling. Try testing another supply before purchase.

Hope this helps

Appears that cpu is damaged. Tech store can find no other cause for issues.
So, have ordered new mb an cpu, Intel rather than AMD.
Desperately hoping this will create a stable environment.
Thanks 4 your response.