Ranking sorting problem

Closed
whatsit Posts 5 Registration date Sunday October 19, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 15, 2016 - Feb 14, 2016 at 06:23 AM
 whatsit - Feb 16, 2016 at 10:51 PM
Hello
I would appreciate some help on the following formula problem. I have a game where some teams have wins, losses and draws. My problem arises when teams have the same number of wins as others but with a goal difference (as in football leagues). I need to determine a ranking order not only based upon wins but also taking into account goal difference. Is there a formula that can do this for me? Any help will be very welcome. Thank you.

4 responses

TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Feb 15, 2016 at 11:36 AM
Hi Whatsit,

You will find your solution here:
https://ccm.net/forum/affich-855341-positioning-teams-for-tournament

Do you have the decency to say "thank you"?

Best regards,
Trowa
whatsit Posts 5 Registration date Sunday October 19, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 15, 2016
Feb 15, 2016 at 10:36 PM
Hello Trowa
Thank you for your response. I tried your solution and it worked for which "Thank you". I must say that I find your remark(question) somewhat hurtful and unnecessary as I always, without fail, say thank you to those people that help me as you have done here. I cannot speak for others that do not. You may or may not remember that just over a year ago you were kind enough to help me with a difficult problem on " Replacing Duplicates". I was grateful for your help then (and said so) as I am now. I hope you will continue to provide an excellent service to this community. Once again --Thank you.
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Feb 16, 2016 at 11:24 AM
Hi Whatsit,

My sincerest apology. Please don't take it personal.

It was just that I looked at the link provided and saw no response what so ever.

Now that you mention your previous query, I remember you being grateful and I thank you for that.

There are just too many people who don't show there appreciation and that frustation came out in my response to you.

I'll look forward to helping you again in the future.

All the best,
Trowa
Hello Trowa
Thank for your response. You are gracious enough to apologise and I appreciate that. We can move forward on a positive note. I can understand your frustration as I have seen it many times in dealings with other people. It reminds me of an incident I saw many years ago on a crowded train on the London underground. A man got up from his seat and offered it to a woman who then sat down. A few seconds later....... the man said to the woman --"Pardon". The woman responded --" I did not say anything". The man replied --"Oh, I thought you said Thank you"!!
Perhaps you can persuade the "Moderators" of this forum to display the request for politeness etc. more prominently than it is so that it cannot be ignored.